Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Unfortunately I have that crappy nForce 780i Board that is plagued with problems, al I can say Miggs is get out of "Auto" settings and roll up the sleeves a bit if you want 4 Ghz out of that E8400, it is capable. Not sure about your MOBO, but my inferior 780i goes something like this:
For 4.05 Ghz I require CPU @ 1.45v with vDroop and vDrop I'm at 1.39v under load.
SPP/MCP/FSB all set to Auto (1.2v, 1.5v and 1.3v respectively)
Memory is unlinked (another one of those poor 780i features) 5-5-5-12 2T @ 1000 Mhz @ 2.05v
Thats pretty much it...Prime95 18 Hrs stable Small FFT and Memtest86 stable 4 passes and run 24/7, temps never exceed 58 celcius under Prime95 Load.

Unfortunately I don't have one of those great E8400 chips, the only way I'm able to achieve 4.275Ghz is to lay the Voltage to the CPU, as in vCore in BIOS @ 1.55v, I only did this for a 3DMark06 Benchmark run as I wanted to see if I could crack 19K and I did (19,129), but obviously I'm not comfortable with that kind of Voltage so I'm back to my slug speed 4.05 Ghz!

Seems I remember getting "slammed" pretty good in the New Builds section recomending a 780i MOBO...hhhhmmmmm..

Old November 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
but my inferior 780i
That is the joke of the week, if done right, let's just say if Curt uses this board, I'm sure your 780i will see dust. They are so many P45 boards, imo that are much better than that 780i board. The only thing those 780i boards are good on overclocking are for unlinking memory/cpu.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 3, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Makes me laugh....took me all of a few hours (all testing / running Prime95) to get Stable @ 4.05 Ghz and a few more minutes to run a Bench @ 4.275 Ghz....terrible Boards indeed.

Old November 3, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Makes me laugh....took me all of a few hours (all testing / running Prime95) to get Stable @ 4.05 Ghz and a few more minutes to run a Bench @ 4.275 Ghz....terrible Boards indeed.
Look we know you love and would probably even have sex with a nvidia board if you could. But your preaching to the wrong crowd here as many of us have had extremely bad problems with them and would prefer to never use them again.

Its as simple as that.
Old November 3, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Look we know you love and would probably even have sex with a nvidia board if you could. But your preaching to the wrong crowd here as many of us have had extremely bad problems with them and would prefer to never use them again.

Its as simple as that.
Yep your absolutely right Enab...I've got a threesome set-up tongith with a 680i (keeps overheating and shutting down), a 780i (simply a re-hash of the old 680i- more shut downs) and the 790i FTW (ugghhh high maintenance)....but i'll give it a go anyhow....
To each his own!

Old November 3, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Yep your absolutely right Enab...I've got a threesome set-up tongith with a 680i (keeps overheating and shutting down), a 780i (simply a re-hash of the old 680i- more shut downs) and the 790i FTW (ugghhh high maintenance)....but i'll give it a go anyhow....
To each his own!
My point was that there is no point in you preaching to people about the nvidia boards because everyone is going to say completely otherwise.

I'd go as far as to say your probably the black sheep in the herd when it comes to nvidia boards.
Old November 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I'd go as far as to say your probably the black sheep in the herd when it comes to nvidia boards.
I know it sure seems that way...but thats fine, I've never been a follower, always seem to have chosen a different path..hahahaha! I know you folks are a lot more telented when it comes down to the nitty gritty of all the different variables of any PC, especially OC'ing and I truthfully admit, that I really knew nothing abouth the OC'ing experience up until I built my present Rig 9 months ago.
I know you have explained in previous Threads how you had some really bad experiences with your older 680i Board and I too have read many Posts on this on the Evga Web Site.
Now, from my perspective, and from being a relatively new student to the OC'ing Club (I'm simply a hobbiest as my real Career takes me to sea), I took a new 780i Board (knowing nothing of the history, purchased only because I knew it would be compatible with my nVidia GPU) and merrily went about learning the do's and don'ts of OC'ing (thanks to many on here btw) and found that the Board worked like a charm, no heat issues, no funky happenings....then I see folks stating what a poor Board it is and even had a "its not an Enthusiast Board", in which I asked..."Why"?...I can adjust Voltages to everything, CPU, SPP, MCP, HT, FSB and RAM...I can unlink or Link my RAM, adjust FSB is a breeze...even adjust my GTL References (although I haven't gone thier yet)....this makes me wonder (as I am quite inquisitive), as to what makes this a non-enthusiast Board?
Then I get slammed from a number of folks for recomending (what I percieve) as a good OC'ing Board, only to see thse same folks having problems with the Boards they claim are far more superior....?
Anyhow, I don't mean to ruffle feathers, only to be the "fellow in the corner" whom periodically wants to advise that "these Boards seem pretty good to me"....
With that that said, I really hope I don't have a serious malfunction with this Board now......that would really be "mud in the face"...hahahahah