Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Overclocking, Tweaking and Benchmarking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2007, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by francois methot View Post
I openned 4 instances of Super PI and set the affinity on each core.

No matther what I do, only one core is not in error. All others cores produces errors when they run at the same time. I tried 2, 3 and 4 instances and only one core give a good results. I can run stable for 4 hours with Orthos on all four cores???

...is Super PI a better tool for stability? One good thing will be that it can test in less than 40 seconds...(if I select 2M) compare to Orthos!
I would say if you can run 4 hours Orthos then your PC is somewhat stable. You really should be able to run 4 instances of PI if your PC is 100% stable. There are so many other factors, I wouldn't worry too much. But if you want to be sure of perfect stability, run Orthos for 24hrs+. That is the best proof of a truely stable system.
Old April 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

Default A multithreader superpi - wPrime

Here is a link to wPrime that runs a superpi using 1 thread for each core

wPrime Multithreaded Benchmark

A number of sites have setup threads in their benching sections with links to hwbots to setup team scores for benching.

eg here is one from OCF [hwbot] wPrime 1024m ranking - Overclockers Forums
Old April 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

News - OCCT Website english

OCCT has quad-core support and is an excellent utility for testing stability
If your pc can handle a 30min blended burnin then it it is a good start. If it fails within that 30min there is no way it will be able to handle a gromacs core FaH client or Orthos 24
Old May 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Systools has a benchmarking program in it (PI)that allows single or all cores to be tested. I have used it with good results for multithread testing. Also Intel is giving out good literature on making multithreaded applications if you have those skills.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah to test a dual or quad properly you need 1 PI instance per core. If you get errors there is something wrong, likely mem related if orthos is clean.
Old May 1, 2007, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yeah everytime I errored in pi it was because of RAM settings to tight or high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old May 3, 2007, 08:24 AM
Rookie

Make sure the super pi instances are separated into different directories!

2/4 instances in the same folder will error out.
Old May 5, 2007, 03:18 PM

My System Specs

For ever SuperPi window open, you need to have a different copy of SuperPi open. Meaning each copy needs to be in a completely different folder. Otherwise it will always error out. And SuperPi is single threaded. It shows 50% on each core because that is what windows does for every single threaded application.