Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2007, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default PCWorld Virus stopper Showdown

Eight stand alone virus apps tested with ~900,000 viruses.
There are no 'suites' and no free versions in the mix.

Quote:
Alwil's Avast 4 Antivirus Professional Edition, BitDefender's Antivirus 10, Eset's NOD32, Grisoft's AVG 7.5 Anti-Virus Professional Edition, Kaspersky's Anti-Virus 6, Panda's Antivirus 2007, Symantec's Norton AntiVirus 2007, and Trend Micro's AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware 2007.

PC World - Virus Stoppers

I had bought BitDefender a while back because of the 2user/2yr price.
There is a very noticable system slowdown during updates/scans and I noticed in the charts it also has a large 'false positive' number.

Last edited by Shadowed; April 23, 2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old April 23, 2007, 09:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

124% system slow-down with bit-defender?? I winder if that's a typo?
Old April 23, 2007, 09:53 AM
MVP

Norton is #2 WTF, I have had so many clients with issues caused by norton

man i hate norton so much, i swear they put out more virus just to boost thier sales
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old April 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

@Babrbarossa:
The system slowdown is very noticable, even when it is checking for updates. My curser will pause intermitently :(

@Beermaster: Is this still going on with thier current VS ?

The article covers just the stanalone virus scanner not the full systen suite which everyone reports is bloatware.
I havn't used Norton for about 10 years.
I would hope after having a product everybody complains about for so long they would clue in :) ??

Last edited by Shadowed; April 23, 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old April 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

About a week ago, norton virus protection went kaput on me- apparently it happened to alot of people- they blamed it on windows update which is very possible- but the only solution is to download the norton remover tool, and reinstall, then reinstall their huge update which is pretty much impossible for me on dial-up- never again.
Old April 23, 2007, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
About a week ago, norton virus protection went kaput on me- apparently it happened to alot of people- they blamed it on windows update which is very possible- but the only solution is to download the norton remover tool, and reinstall, then reinstall their huge update which is pretty much impossible for me on dial-up- never again.
OK community, we need to get a high speed line to our SuperMods house asap.

Seriously though, if you need stuff, make a list and I am sure we can send you some DVDs.
For example, I have just finished getting some Linux distros, Kubuntu 7.04 (4.3gb) and Sabayon 3.4 (3.34gb)
I wouldn't mind helping out. I have spindles of blank DVDs and it wouldn't be a problem :)
I was on dialup for many years and know what a pain it can be.
Old April 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

HAHA! Thanks for the thought.

There does look like there might be some light at the end of the tunnel for me. There is an operation called Red Ball internet setting up in the closest town to me that has built a wireless internet tower. They're not sure if it will reach me, but ar elooking into it. The only problem is that there is nearly $400 for setup costs for the gear. :(
Old April 23, 2007, 12:43 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I don't know about you guys but any AV that won't just uninstall and needs a special removal tool is too much like a Virus I hate Norton lol.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old April 23, 2007, 01:46 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_Madrach View Post
I don't know about you guys but any AV that won't just uninstall and needs a special removal tool is too much like a Virus I hate Norton lol.

Maybe thats a "feature" ;)
Old June 22, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I swear Norton just installs viruses when you uninstall it because when I unistalled it form my moms computer and installed AVG it picked up a bunch of viruses.