Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Default Vista Home Premium 32 bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Evening

Is it possible to upgrade HP M8000N w/ Vista 32bit to Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

My specs are pretty well below...I've upgraded ram, vid card.....could this pimped out HP handle 64 bit and be upgradable to 8gb ram for future gaming etc?

I mostly use (cpu) for gaming but have been curious lately if I could upgrade to 64bit or if it's actually worth my while.

I haven't really seen any clear answers....I've downloaded the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and tells me ultimate is my best choice but what it doesn't state is 32 or 64 bit OS would be better.

Cheers!
French
HP M8000n Media Center AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.6GHz, 4GB Kingston 667mhz RAM, BFG 9800GTX OCX 512 Ram, Asus M2N Motherboard, OCZ 700w Gamer Extreme PSU, Samsung 22" 226bw, Vista Home Premium SP1, Altec Lansing Speakers
Old September 8, 2008, 10:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If it's a pure gaming machine, almost all games are 32 bit and can not use more than 2 GB of ram. You'd likely not notice any improvement.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

No. You can not 'upgrade' from a 32 to a 64 bit version of Windows. You have to do a fresh install (after, of course, backing up all your data).

If you have Vista Ultimate 32 running on your box then 64 should work. I think they have pretty much the same compatibility matrix except for ancient processors that are not 64 bit.

If you have the full retail boxed version of Vista Ultimate then you should have both versions on DVD in the box. If you have a full retail version of the other versions you can buy the DVD from Microsoft for about $10. If you have an OEM copy you have to talk to your vendor to get a disk.
Old September 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
Allstar

You may want to contact HP about that (I recommend their live chat as phoning them is pretty futile) as they may not offer 64-bit drivers for items such as the TV tuner.

As mentioned, it wouldn't be a typical upgrade; you would have to install a fresh copy.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:45 PM
Rookie

I'll try the live chat and see what happens

Thx for the advice
HP M8000n Media Center AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core 2.6GHz, 4GB Kingston 667mhz RAM, BFG 9800GTX OCX 512 Ram, Asus M2N Motherboard, OCZ 700w Gamer Extreme PSU, Samsung 22" 226bw, Vista Home Premium SP1, Altec Lansing Speakers