Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 8 Time Frame

Does anyone know what the time frame is on the Windows 8 release? I know that they're working on it. I'm just hoping that I can get through with Windows XP until the release, since I really do NOT want to switch to Vista.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Codename orient/ mystic aka 8 wont be for a bit, window7 will be out within 2 years, if your holding of on vista then you should know window7 anit any better just a updated vista imo. But I would guess about 2 years after 7 is released going by ms's timelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 3, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

And I'm hoping that Microsoft will give all Legit Vista users a free upgrade to it, no matter how much it costs Microsoft. Just imagine how many thousand or million users out there don't like Vista. Maybe the second version might be a little usable. Imo i'm still XP even if it lives forever.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
And I'm hoping that Microsoft will give all Legit Vista users a free upgrade to it, no matter how much it costs Microsoft. Just imagine how many thousand or million users out there don't like Vista. Maybe the second version might be a little usable. Imo i'm still XP even if it lives forever.
I doubt that will happen imo, but you never know.
You call it windows7, I call it vista sp2 with touchscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 3, 2008, 10:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

I call it a OS I still won't run.

Unless the next few releases of Windows smarten up I'll be pretty much dropping it for Linux.

Won't be able to do everything I want but that's my choice and I'm sure there would be more to follow.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

2015, remember you read it here first!
Old September 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
Allstar

@enaberif I, and or office even have been Windows free except for a couple of test machine for a ;long time, using Linux and the BSD's and Solaris. Aren't too many things you can't do except play some games.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is Vista really as bad as the online hype makes it out to be? I've only seen it in Beta, and I hated it. But I know that a lot of it's issues are supposed to have been worked out in SP1. I'm looking at Vista Ultimate 64 for my new system. I really would rather stay with XP, but it's hard to stay away from the memory allocation, true 64 bit OS, DX10, etc. that is only available in Vista.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
@enaberif I, and or office even have been Windows free except for a couple of test machine for a ;long time, using Linux and the BSD's and Solaris. Aren't too many things you can't do except play some games.
Oh I'm aware I've been using linux since the days of using optical drives connected to soundblaster cards which dates back to Slackware in 1995 :P
Old September 3, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Is Vista really as bad as the online hype makes it out to be? I've only seen it in Beta, and I hated it. But I know that a lot of it's issues are supposed to have been worked out in SP1. I'm looking at Vista Ultimate 64 for my new system. I really would rather stay with XP, but it's hard to stay away from the memory allocation, true 64 bit OS, DX10, etc. that is only available in Vista.
there isnt really anything "wrong" with vista...per se... other than its a huge resource hog for no apperant reason. but if you have abundant ram, and if your looking at vista 64 for the high mem thing, then you wont have a problem with that...

its not much different than say, going from win 2k to win xp, except that xp actually had better technology in it and vista really doesnt. or if it does, you nor I will ever notice/see it... except for dx 10, wich is only available in vista because if it was available for xp nobody would use vista, and the ability to use quad sli i guess. not sure why THAT doesnt work in xp, but it doesnt.

some nice utilities wont work in vista, or maby even specifically vista 64. One that comes immidiatly to mind is Nvidia's Nvision, which allows you to span two monitors as one high resolution display (great for gaming on a super large "display") there is currently no way to span monitors in vista like you could in xp... wich is BS in my opinion... (however there is hardware you can buy that gives you this functionality)

pretty safe to say that vista is an extreemly bloated OS, that will work fine if you have a fairly high end system with LOTS of memory (my vista64 instally uses almost 800 megs of ram at idle and i have all the services i can do without turned off)

dont be scared to move to vista if you have a system that can handle it. Just be aware that there will be some things you cant do or use when you move over. again, its no different than what happend when xp replaced win2k

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0