Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Ubuntu apps

Hello people,

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my sis's laptop yesterday, I got to say one hell of a move I did installing ubuntu staying away from Vista (yuk yuk).

Needed couple of suggestions for apps to use:

Alternative to Windows Live Messenger (if possible an alternative to yahoo also, even an all-in-one prog will do too), Winamp,

Thanks.
Old August 23, 2008, 11:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

Pidgin is a great IM client to use, as for winamp, there's a lot of options. XMMS is pretty good and you can use Winamp skins for it as well, if memory serves.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 23, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Should have mentioned earlier, I setup the shoutcast plugin for her, so sometimes she also does online DJ.
Any program that will enable her to use that kind of stuff.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

All in one chat program would be pidgin, it works great.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old August 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

for msn use aMSN its the one that will most closely resemble msn and not screw up your list.

I don't quite understand your request for shoutcast?

If you mean a music player? You could use xmms or amarok.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
for msn use aMSN its the one that will most closely resemble msn and not screw up your list.

I don't quite understand your request for shoutcast?

If you mean a music player? You could use xmms or amarok.
Mista Curt, howdy!!.. Not a request for shoutcast, winamp has a plugin for shoutcast which enables you to stream music. Any player or even a program that lets you stream music from linux.
Old August 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Mista Curt, howdy!!.. Not a request for shoutcast, winamp has a plugin for shoutcast which enables you to stream music. Any player or even a program that lets you stream music from linux.
OH! You can get shoutcast for linux too that works with xmms. You could also look into Icecast (i think thats what its called).
Old August 23, 2008, 03:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

With aMSN it screws up some of the fonts on the people screen names if they use special characters, and i just couldn't tank how it looks.
If your daughter doesn't mind really minimalistic, go pidgin, which as you wanted is an all in one application.
Also you can try Mercury Instant messenger, i haven't tried it yet but it's another Windows live messenger wannabe for Linux.
Old August 23, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
With aMSN it screws up some of the fonts on the people screen names if they use special characters, and i just couldn't tank how it looks.
If your daughter doesn't mind really minimalistic, go pidgin, which as you wanted is an all in one application.
Also you can try Mercury Instant messenger, i haven't tried it yet but it's another Windows live messenger wannabe for Linux.
The reason the fonts mess up is because that person is using a non-standard font that isn't included with windows or they are using chinese characters or something of the sort.

Thats not a fault of aMSN its the fault of MSN allowing non-standard fonts. This will happen with ANY software you use in linux if you don't have the proper fonts installed.
Old August 23, 2008, 11:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The reason the fonts mess up is because that person is using a non-standard font that isn't included with windows or they are using chinese characters or something of the sort.

Thats not a fault of aMSN its the fault of MSN allowing non-standard fonts. This will happen with ANY software you use in linux if you don't have the proper fonts installed.
And the huge problem with that is, my msn list is flooded with people using non-standard fonts, and msgpluslive as well so they have colouring, pretty much on other messengers i would see a hex code. With pidgin, probably due to it's universality (not sure if it's a word) has these universal fonts enabled.
Also for those not looking for lots of features, pidgin will serve fine if you're not doing any webcamming or audio sorts of things. For text and sending files it will serve fine, plus i believe there is a good amount of support for the program.