Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default Tri-boot XP/Vista/Ubuntu

Okay has anyone done this, or at least tried this... because I'm having an issue. I have XP and Vista installed, everything works fine, and I have Ubuntu installed... however grub doesn't seem to be working?? The Vista bootloader comes up and it shows xp and vista... but no ubuntu.

So does anyone know how I can boot into Ubuntu
__________________
EVGA780i FTW|Q9450@3.3|2x2GB Mushkin Redline 8000|GTX 260 Core 216 65nm|Corsair TX750|Antec 900|Acer 22|Antec Multimedia Premier|WD 640GB|Seagate 500GB|Logitech G15|Vista64
EVGA790i FTW|E8400@4.1|4x1GB Aeneon Xtune DDR3-1866|2xGTX 260 55nm|CM 750W| CM690|Viewsonic 25.5|Seagate 500GBx2|Logitech G5|Razer Lycosa|Scythe Kaze Master 5.25|Win7 & XP
Dell XPS M170|Pentium M @2.00|2GB DDR2 @667MHz|Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX|120GB|17" WUXGA|XP32
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2008, 07:20 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Okay has anyone done this, or at least tried this... because I'm having an issue. I have XP and Vista installed, everything works fine, and I have Ubuntu installed... however grub doesn't seem to be working?? The Vista bootloader comes up and it shows xp and vista... but no ubuntu.

So does anyone know how I can boot into Ubuntu
Read up on how to properly install Grub :)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2008, 07:49 PM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Read up on how to properly install Grub :)
So what your saying is that you have no idea and you just felt the need to make a post. If anyone actually knows what to do please let me know
__________________
EVGA780i FTW|Q9450@3.3|2x2GB Mushkin Redline 8000|GTX 260 Core 216 65nm|Corsair TX750|Antec 900|Acer 22|Antec Multimedia Premier|WD 640GB|Seagate 500GB|Logitech G15|Vista64
EVGA790i FTW|E8400@4.1|4x1GB Aeneon Xtune DDR3-1866|2xGTX 260 55nm|CM 750W| CM690|Viewsonic 25.5|Seagate 500GBx2|Logitech G5|Razer Lycosa|Scythe Kaze Master 5.25|Win7 & XP
Dell XPS M170|Pentium M @2.00|2GB DDR2 @667MHz|Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX|120GB|17" WUXGA|XP32
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
So what your saying is that you have no idea and you just felt the need to make a post. If anyone actually knows what to do please let me know
I do know.. you have to install Grub properly.

The issue with this is that your using a linux system and the way to do this is different from machine to machine.

Go find a how to on installing Grub and don't write statements of one to attack someone or you may not get help at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2008, 01:50 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,035

My System Specs

Default

@enaberif
If you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all. That was not help at all and just seems so against the feeling that this forum usually puts out. You are right that you can triple boot with grub installed but that will be using two different boot loaders, grub and vista's. Because no matter how you set it it would always load the Vista boot loader when I selected one of the windows I had set in Grub. I could get into windows after that but it was two different menus. I get the feeling that he wants it to be with one boot loader and have just the three choices XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

@Jon_di2
No to do that you have to add Ubuntu to the Vista boot loader. The best way to play with the vista boot loader is to get a program called EasyBCD and you can find it here

Then the best thing would be to just take a look at a little tutorial on how to add it, Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Generally that should work if you still have issues, I would suggest you look here, EasyBCD Support - The NeoSmart Forums , since they have a bunch of threads on triple booting.

You can also check out this guide for dual booting; The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
Remember doing a triple boot is with XP/Vista/Ubuntu is just like doing a dual boot with XP/Vista then a dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu.

Hope all of that helps.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2008, 01:52 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
@enaberif
If you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all. That was not help at all and just seems so against the feeling that this forum usually puts out. You are right that you can triple boot with grub installed but that will be using two different boot loaders, grub and vista's. Because no matter how you set it it would always load the Vista boot loader when I selected one of the windows I had set in Grub. I could get into windows after that but it was two different menus. I get the feeling that he wants it to be with one boot loader and have just the three choices XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

@Jon_di2
No to do that you have to add Ubuntu to the Vista boot loader. The best way to play with the vista boot loader is to get a program called EasyBCD and you can find it here

Then the best thing would be to just take a look at a little tutorial on how to add it, Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Generally that should work if you still have issues, I would suggest you look here, EasyBCD Support - The NeoSmart Forums , since they have a bunch of threads on triple booting.

You can also check out this guide for dual booting; The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
Remember doing a triple boot is with XP/Vista/Ubuntu is just like doing a dual boot with XP/Vista then a dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu.

Hope all of that helps.
It will simply be easier for everything to just use Grub.

If you read a simple how to it would take only a few seconds to figure this out as Grub does a pretty good job at detecting what OS's you have installed.

Triple boot, XP-Vista-Ubuntu from GRUB - The NeoSmart Forums
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2008, 02:01 AM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,035

My System Specs

Default

Well I guess it is up to them, I say doing a quick two minute change with easybcd is better than the making sure all of those files are in the right spots to get everything just right for Grub.

Plus I was speaking from my experience and I originally wanted to just use Grub, but found that using easybcd was much easier and didn't give me anywhere near the headaches I got from dealing with Grub. Now that is really grubs fault., it was the Vista loader that would always come up even when I selected XP from the grub menu.

But yes it can be done either way, I just say the the Vista loader way is much easier. Preferences I guess.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2008, 07:11 AM
Jon_di2's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Then the best thing would be to just take a look at a little tutorial on how to add it, Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
Hey, that looks great, I was trying to use easybcd 1.6 before, but it still wasn't letting me add grub to the vista bootloader. Couldn't find any instructions on how to use it, hopefully this works, thanks for the info!
__________________
EVGA780i FTW|Q9450@3.3|2x2GB Mushkin Redline 8000|GTX 260 Core 216 65nm|Corsair TX750|Antec 900|Acer 22|Antec Multimedia Premier|WD 640GB|Seagate 500GB|Logitech G15|Vista64
EVGA790i FTW|E8400@4.1|4x1GB Aeneon Xtune DDR3-1866|2xGTX 260 55nm|CM 750W| CM690|Viewsonic 25.5|Seagate 500GBx2|Logitech G5|Razer Lycosa|Scythe Kaze Master 5.25|Win7 & XP
Dell XPS M170|Pentium M @2.00|2GB DDR2 @667MHz|Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX|120GB|17" WUXGA|XP32
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 23, 2008, 08:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

I second the EasyBCD solution. Worked for me.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Québec, QC
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Okay has anyone done this, or at least tried this... because I'm having an issue. I have XP and Vista installed, everything works fine, and I have Ubuntu installed... however grub doesn't seem to be working?? The Vista bootloader comes up and it shows xp and vista... but no ubuntu.
If the Windows Boot Manager is loading instead of grub at startup, then it's mostly because you didn't setup grub correctly; that's it, you didn't "install" grub stage1 in the MBR. All you had to do would have been something like:
  1. launch your favorite unix shell
  2. launch the grub shell
  3. type "root (hdX, Y)" where X is your drive number and Y is your partition number where grub stage2 resides
  4. type "setup (hdX)" where X is the same as below
All this information was at your fingertip (damn, this is gay, I can't even post link since it's my first post )
www[dot]gnu[dot]org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes