Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Tri-boot XP/Vista/Ubuntu

Okay has anyone done this, or at least tried this... because I'm having an issue. I have XP and Vista installed, everything works fine, and I have Ubuntu installed... however grub doesn't seem to be working?? The Vista bootloader comes up and it shows xp and vista... but no ubuntu.

So does anyone know how I can boot into Ubuntu
Old August 22, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Okay has anyone done this, or at least tried this... because I'm having an issue. I have XP and Vista installed, everything works fine, and I have Ubuntu installed... however grub doesn't seem to be working?? The Vista bootloader comes up and it shows xp and vista... but no ubuntu.

So does anyone know how I can boot into Ubuntu
Read up on how to properly install Grub :)
Old August 22, 2008, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Read up on how to properly install Grub :)
So what your saying is that you have no idea and you just felt the need to make a post. If anyone actually knows what to do please let me know
Old August 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
So what your saying is that you have no idea and you just felt the need to make a post. If anyone actually knows what to do please let me know
I do know.. you have to install Grub properly.

The issue with this is that your using a linux system and the way to do this is different from machine to machine.

Go find a how to on installing Grub and don't write statements of one to attack someone or you may not get help at all.
Old August 23, 2008, 01:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

@enaberif
If you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all. That was not help at all and just seems so against the feeling that this forum usually puts out. You are right that you can triple boot with grub installed but that will be using two different boot loaders, grub and vista's. Because no matter how you set it it would always load the Vista boot loader when I selected one of the windows I had set in Grub. I could get into windows after that but it was two different menus. I get the feeling that he wants it to be with one boot loader and have just the three choices XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

@Jon_di2
No to do that you have to add Ubuntu to the Vista boot loader. The best way to play with the vista boot loader is to get a program called EasyBCD and you can find it here

Then the best thing would be to just take a look at a little tutorial on how to add it, Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Generally that should work if you still have issues, I would suggest you look here, EasyBCD Support - The NeoSmart Forums , since they have a bunch of threads on triple booting.

You can also check out this guide for dual booting; The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
Remember doing a triple boot is with XP/Vista/Ubuntu is just like doing a dual boot with XP/Vista then a dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu.

Hope all of that helps.

Old August 23, 2008, 01:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
@enaberif
If you have nothing good to say then say nothing at all. That was not help at all and just seems so against the feeling that this forum usually puts out. You are right that you can triple boot with grub installed but that will be using two different boot loaders, grub and vista's. Because no matter how you set it it would always load the Vista boot loader when I selected one of the windows I had set in Grub. I could get into windows after that but it was two different menus. I get the feeling that he wants it to be with one boot loader and have just the three choices XP, Vista and Ubuntu.

@Jon_di2
No to do that you have to add Ubuntu to the Vista boot loader. The best way to play with the vista boot loader is to get a program called EasyBCD and you can find it here

Then the best thing would be to just take a look at a little tutorial on how to add it, Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Generally that should work if you still have issues, I would suggest you look here, EasyBCD Support - The NeoSmart Forums , since they have a bunch of threads on triple booting.

You can also check out this guide for dual booting; The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step
Remember doing a triple boot is with XP/Vista/Ubuntu is just like doing a dual boot with XP/Vista then a dual boot with Vista/Ubuntu.

Hope all of that helps.
It will simply be easier for everything to just use Grub.

If you read a simple how to it would take only a few seconds to figure this out as Grub does a pretty good job at detecting what OS's you have installed.

Triple boot, XP-Vista-Ubuntu from GRUB - The NeoSmart Forums
Old August 23, 2008, 02:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I guess it is up to them, I say doing a quick two minute change with easybcd is better than the making sure all of those files are in the right spots to get everything just right for Grub.

Plus I was speaking from my experience and I originally wanted to just use Grub, but found that using easybcd was much easier and didn't give me anywhere near the headaches I got from dealing with Grub. Now that is really grubs fault., it was the Vista loader that would always come up even when I selected XP from the grub menu.

But yes it can be done either way, I just say the the Vista loader way is much easier. Preferences I guess.

Old August 23, 2008, 07:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Hey, that looks great, I was trying to use easybcd 1.6 before, but it still wasn't letting me add grub to the vista bootloader. Couldn't find any instructions on how to use it, hopefully this works, thanks for the info!
Old August 23, 2008, 08:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I second the EasyBCD solution. Worked for me.
Old August 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
If the Windows Boot Manager is loading instead of grub at startup, then it's mostly because you didn't setup grub correctly; that's it, you didn't "install" grub stage1 in the MBR. All you had to do would have been something like:
  1. launch your favorite unix shell
  2. launch the grub shell
  3. type "root (hdX, Y)" where X is your drive number and Y is your partition number where grub stage2 resides
  4. type "setup (hdX)" where X is the same as below
All this information was at your fingertip (damn, this is gay, I can't even post link since it's my first post )
www[dot]gnu[dot]org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html