Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2008, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

take a look at this result... pretty close...

Virus Bulletin : News - AV-test.org issues latest figures

honestly... i wish to know what version... (march 2008?)

+(good) or above product; ( since ++ or very good is almost impossible)
AntiVir (Avira)
Nod32 (Eset)
Panda
Sophos
Trend Micro

98% or above on both detection rate charts...
AntiVir (Avira)
Sophos
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 23, 2008, 09:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I use torrents daily and they can't contain a virus or spyware unless its an archived file and even then that could only end up as a virus/worm on your machine.

Spyware/Trojans are only OUT there by going to odd sites and pop up windows.

Viruses are only in archived files.

You're really thinking to much into this.
There is not one single bit of truth in this statement. You need to stop hot knifing those styrofoam peanuts. And change your banking passwords, i bet you have 9 keylogger trojans all fighting over who gets to drain your account.

Norton and McAfee are pretty good, but they are way too much of a system hog, performance killer. I hate them for that. I use AVG, it ranks fairly high in its detection and non false positive and its free.

New viruses are constantly being tossed into the wild that there is no detection or cure for. AVG has good heuristic scanning. It checks for virus like activity. Problem is, virus writers are coding to specifically bypass most av.

The best removal tool out there is f-secure's online scan tool.
F-Secure Support pages: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

I use this whenever I suspect a computer has been infected, it gets stuff all the others miss and scans and removes rootkits too. And spyware. f-secure is a leading virus tracker and they sell cures to companys like norton and avg.

In conclusion. Yes, your best defense is proper surfing/DLing habits. but get your self some AV that is not too system hogging and periodically scan your computer with f-secure.

Used to be that viruses were written to damage your computer, now they are made to hide on your system and steal from you. 99% of people with viruses dont even know they have them until its too late. I have had dozens of people bring me computers because they are infected with spyware, only to discover they have had botnets and keylogger trojans hidden away for months on their machines.
Old August 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
There is not one single bit of truth in this statement. You need to stop hot knifing those styrofoam peanuts. And change your banking passwords, i bet you have 9 keylogger trojans all fighting over who gets to drain your account.

Norton and McAfee are pretty good, but they are way too much of a system hog, performance killer. I hate them for that. I use AVG, it ranks fairly high in its detection and non false positive and its free.

New viruses are constantly being tossed into the wild that there is no detection or cure for. AVG has good heuristic scanning. It checks for virus like activity. Problem is, virus writers are coding to specifically bypass most av.

The best removal tool out there is f-secure's online scan tool.
F-Secure Support pages: F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

I use this whenever I suspect a computer has been infected, it gets stuff all the others miss and scans and removes rootkits too. And spyware. f-secure is a leading virus tracker and they sell cures to companys like norton and avg.

In conclusion. Yes, your best defense is proper surfing/DLing habits. but get your self some AV that is not too system hogging and periodically scan your computer with f-secure.

Used to be that viruses were written to damage your computer, now they are made to hide on your system and steal from you. 99% of people with viruses dont even know they have them until its too late. I have had dozens of people bring me computers because they are infected with spyware, only to discover they have had botnets and keylogger trojans hidden away for months on their machines.
Thanks I'm going to remember to avoid any further topics with you involved as you seem to think your all that.
Old August 23, 2008, 11:33 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Viruses are only in archived files.
"Winamp recently had a exploit in the m3u file, which let hackers embed a virus in it, so when you opened a play list in winamp, you were infected.

There was also a bitmap exploit in windows, which had a similar flaw, there's ton of exploits found daily, so to answer to answer your question honestly, virus can be in ANY form, its not limited to anything.

Even via AOL Instant Messenger, there was crafted buddy icon exploits, you just IMed someone, if they accepted buddy icons, you could have compromised their pc rite there...."

"Perrun Virus was an example of a virus attaching to a jpg file. So technically it is possible.If your is already infected it will cause it to be the interpreter for an image file. Trojans usually come attached to another file, such as a .avi, or .exe, or even a .jpg. Better be checking those jpg's."

"A couple other virus tricks you need to be aware of. First, MS Office files can contain what are called "Macro Viruses". Without getting into too much detail, these files can run a "macro" (a macro is a mini-program run from within another program) that can be as destructive as any "regular" virus. So, my advice on MS Office attachments is not to open them unless you are expecting them. If they just show up, verify with the sender first. The other trick you need to look out for is an extra extension added to an attached file. For example, you may have something like "mypicture.jpg.vbs". In fact, if you don't have your computer set to view file extensions, it may just look like "mypicture.jpg" and omit that last "vbs" part.
This may appear to be a jpg picture file, but it's actually a Visual Basic Script file. If executed, it will happily infect your computer with a virus"

"On Tuesday morning, Network Associates' McAfee antivirus division became aware of the first virus--known as "Peachy"--that uses PDF to spread, said Vincent Gullotto, senior director of McAfee's Avert group"
Old August 23, 2008, 11:51 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Not to mention that most viruses are of the direct attack variety, they are scanning your computer as we speak, looking for vulnerabilitys to exploit without you even doing anything other than being connected to the internet.

Remember the sasser virus?

Stop being wrong and I'll stop correcting you
Old August 26, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do agree that you don't need an anti-virus or IS suite, but that is only if you limit yourself to well-known websites such as Google, HWC, Yahoo, etc. But even secure sites like NCIX can get hacked, and attempt at trying to steal information from the servers and database. You're limiting yourself to only a small part of the internet, which makes it boring.

Honestly surfing the web is just like sex. You don't know if you're going to catch something until it's too late. So, an AV program is much like a condom: it does protect you, but not completely. But in this case, you can reduce the risk by say, 85%. Having nothing opens the door for anything to infect. While a router may provide some forms of firewall, it does not protect you from the things that you want to come in.

enaberif, I just won't use your computer and bring along an MSI Wind ;) .
Old August 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

AV = condom? Tell that to McAfee, more like non-consensual… :)

I installed AVG internet, so far it hasn’t pmo for the last 24 hours, a new record!
There is the mysterious doom and gloom about expiry after 29 days though.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i would go with bit-defender while it is not then #1 choice it is however very affordable.

Old August 26, 2008, 12:12 PM
MVP
F@H

All I use is avg.

The thing is that with each step forward is 2 steps backward. People get stupid often and get happy when the get an email with the header you have won 1million or whatever or nude shots of whomever and open it..

Or most don't even set up up their email filters, or have a junk email box set up for non personal email.

The also hit the strangest damned websites without having security set properly on their browsers, or they might be even more goofier and love ms ie.

This simple fact is .. norton's & macaffee is the toilet paper of internet security.. avg kapersky's and bit defender are up there, but the most effect tool is knowledge and common sense.

Old August 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Found one one someones computer yesterday. "Kid Rock - All summer long.exe" Only it had the windows media player icon and hide extensions for known file types was turned on. So it looked exactly like all the other tunes in the folder. that simple.