Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2008, 08:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Gotta love a company that tries to portray the quality of it's product and company by using openly admitted lies and deceit. Hey now, leave the poor Edsel alone. It was a really decent car, despite it's looks
"Cultural critics speculated that the car was a flop because the vertical grill looked like a vagina. Maybe. America in the '50s was certainly phobic about the female business. "

1958 Ford Edsel - The 50 Worst Cars of All Time - TIME

... maybe a little but when I think about bad cars the one that always comes to mind is the Ford Pinto... "The car tended to erupt in flame in rear-end collisions."..."the cost of reinforcing the rear end ($121 million) versus the potential payout to victims ($50 million). Conclusion? Let 'em burn."

Now there is a marketing team! Still sold quite a few of those...

Last edited by Jon_di2; August 21, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old August 21, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You'd be surprised how these "fake testimonials" actually work at changing how a given product is perceived. Its a classic, tried and true marketing technique.... and to be honest, if this makes it mainstream, it could become windows best campaign ever... imo

You're gonna have people, who walk into their local big box, just messing with the demos... and saying... "hey, it really isnt that bad..."
----

Those mac spoofs are hillarious

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old August 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly, I'm cynical enough about human nature to believe that this experiment could have been done legitimately. Like pretty much any widespread phenomenon, for every intelligent, rational, dissatisfied user, there are nine others riding along on the bandwagon, mindlessly parroting the same reasons, whether they have any personal experience to back it up or not.

That aside, I have to wonder whether this experiment would have given the people a chance to properly experience the trouble areas. Somehow, I doubt the test rig used any hardware suffering from poor driver support/conflicts, the software was probably all signed, and I seriously doubt any sort of comparative benchmarking occurring. So in that sort of situation, a person would have no reason not to give "Mojave" good marks.