Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows XP can't logon

Here is the problem. The computer opens up, I see the windows boot screen, windows greets me and then its just a blue screen(not the blue screen of death), which could very well be the background. I can't go any further, I can't press any keys on the keyboard otherwise the keyboard and mouse just freeze. I tried booting in safe mode, in that case I get to the black screen with safe mode writen in all corners and then it stops there with the same problem.

I just can't stand this computer anymore, what can I do to fix it.

The OS is windows XP SP2, its a compaq computer; therefore, I assume I don't have the full reinstallation disk. But what exactly happens if I put the disk that came with the computer ? Will it erase everything on the HDD ? or will it just repair it ? The HDD is partionned, one of them is just the Windows install and the rest is the actual info on the computer.

I have had some problems with the computer, if you want to read about it, its here.
Old August 21, 2008, 11:33 AM
Allstar

If it's a post-HP era Compaq, you should have a recovery partition, which is usually accessible by pressing F10 or F11 at the Compaq screen. In the recovery console, you may have access to diagnostic software (HP includes it on newer computers, but I don't know about one that age) where you can run diagnostic tests on the hard drive, memory, CPU, etc. If you have this option, run a full diagnostic.

If you choose to do a system recovery, it will format the drive, which will erase everything on the C: partition, and reload Windows along with all the other pre-installed software.
Old August 21, 2008, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
Here is the problem. The computer opens up, I see the windows boot screen, windows greets me and then its just a blue screen(not the blue screen of death), which could very well be the background. I can't go any further, I can't press any keys on the keyboard otherwise the keyboard and mouse just freeze. I tried booting in safe mode, in that case I get to the black screen with safe mode writen in all corners and then it stops there with the same problem.

I just can't stand this computer anymore, what can I do to fix it.

The OS is windows XP SP2, its a compaq computer; therefore, I assume I don't have the full reinstallation disk. But what exactly happens if I put the disk that came with the computer ? Will it erase everything on the HDD ? or will it just repair it ? The HDD is partionned, one of them is just the Windows install and the rest is the actual info on the computer.

I have had some problems with the computer, if you want to read about it, its here.
Seriously.

Backup the data and format.

Sounds like whatever the heck was caught is not going to be fixable.

And please after the install tell the guy who owns this how to properly surf.. ie: Use Firefox and a GOOD virus checker.
Old August 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And please after the install tell the guy who owns this how to properly surf.. ie: Use Firefox and a GOOD virus checker.
I am going the backup/format route, but if you can teach my father to properly surf I'll give you a medal... He already learned after 3-4 years that throwing the computer by the window will not make it go faster. Now, 2 years later, I still have him calling me for the world's stupidest reasons. I am actually considering installing Linux on his computer, that way he won't use ie for sure. Until then, there is my mom who will listen.