Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 22, 2008, 09:50 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I would say its slower. I said it is slower. Because the fps numbers for the 8.8's are less then the 8.7's. Except for vantage, theoretical chest pounding app.

Also I'm pissed at the 8.8's, wasted an evening trying to install them.

hmmm, your article looks like some gains in dx10.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

rage3d forums have lots of peeps with custom bios's having the same grief as me.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:34 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hmm yah that could be the issue, both my bios are stock.
Old August 25, 2008, 04:45 AM
Allstar

Does the fan speed work better with this driver ?
Old August 28, 2008, 01:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

These drivers work fine for me.

And for the people wondering how to change the fan speed on the 4800 series cards, there's a pretty simple way I've found. In the CCC you make a profile and call it whatever you want. Then you have to go find the file, mine was somewhere in Documents and Settings, in one of the hidden folders, then in an ATI folder where you'll see an .XML file with the same name as the profile you made. If you edit it with notepad, you'll see there is a line which says something along the lines of "fan percentage target." And under that line shows something "=0." If you edit the 0 to whichever number you want then save the XML file and load up that specific profile in the CCC it will load up that fan speed. You could create different profiles for different fan speeds or just keep editing the XML file every time you want to change the fan speed. For example I have a profile for "Gaming & Benching" with the fan set to 100% (sounds like a hair dryer), one for "Folding" at 70%, and one for "Idle" with the fan set to 40%.

Hope that helped anyone. I don't really remember where the profile files were since my PC is down ATM, but I'm in XP and they were in a hidden folder in Documents and Settings, then in a folder named ATI, then in another folder, IIRC.
-Deadpool
Old August 28, 2008, 02:18 PM

yeah, my HD4850s with custom BIOSs un-locking CCC overclocking would not install. just wouldn't recognize them as the cards they were. back to stock BIOSs and all is well.

as for the comment above about Profiles to control fan speeds, it works like a charm. just have shortcuts wherever you find handy to initialize for the different profiles you setup for fan speeds and your set. the new ATITools can apparently control fans now but still not in CF. the paths for the XML files are as follows...

Vista:
C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\

for a default fan speed upon boot, just create a shortcut and drop a copy of the shortcut in your startup folder...done and done. also, for CF, don't forget to set fan control to "Manual" and the percentage you want for both cards. it will be in two spots in the XML file close to each other. HTH
Old August 28, 2008, 02:34 PM

Yeah it kinda sucks that the drivers wont work with custom BIOS. Did you try and flash the custom BIOS after the driver was already installed?
Old August 28, 2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Yeah it kinda sucks that the drivers wont work with custom BIOS. Did you try and flash the custom BIOS after the driver was already installed?
not yet but do plan on trying to mess with it some using the new RBE. just have to finish the benches for this RE then will prep for a cold session this weekend. hoping to get it working because CCC is the only way to clock CF so far. if not, the weekend session will just have to be with 8.7 which works just fine with the custom BIOS. the first option i want to try is to flash the cards after they have had the drivers installed. i will report back once i try a few things over the next day or two.

dewar won't pressurize with the withdrawl device because Air Liquide had the bleed valve open, separated a shoulder and cracked 3 ribs on tuesday, pouring from a 31L dewar by myself while trying to run 3 pots should be interesting to say the least
Old August 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
for a default fan speed upon boot, just create a shortcut and drop a copy of the shortcut in your startup folder...done and done. also, for CF, don't forget to set fan control to "Manual" and the percentage you want for both cards. it will be in two spots in the XML file close to each other. HTH
I have found that it will boot to the last set fan speed without a shortcut in the startup folder.
Old August 28, 2008, 06:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
I have found that it will boot to the last set fan speed without a shortcut in the startup folder.
Confirmed - it did exactly that when I had my 4870s.