Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default question about vista and wireless

Ok, I have a question about vista and wireless.
I know backw hen vista was first launched I seen people complaining that vista constanly renewed the connection every like 10 seocnds causing un-playable conditions in games and I wanted to know if that still happens?
I recently moved my computer into another room and going wireless would make everything alot easier but if it makes it hard to play my games I wont worry about it.
Old August 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's mainly for gaming I highly suggest that you keep it wired. Wireless is just one of those things where if there's a blip in the air it's going to completely screw up your connection until you resync. Not only that, but it also increases lag, which is bad. But if you're only playing casually and lightly I would go wireless...
Old August 11, 2008, 03:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya, my biggest problem is the fact that to keep it wired im going to have to drill holes through 2 walls and run the wire lol.
Old August 11, 2008, 08:07 PM
MVP
F@H

I recently had to switch to wireless and I'm running Vista. I have noticed considerable lag spikes while gaming compared to a wired connection. If you can get a wire running, I recommend you do it.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old August 11, 2008, 08:11 PM
Allstar

My friend has the D-Link DIR-655 and D-Link Xtreme N PCI wireless adapter and his ping is usually about the same as mine in the games/servers we play on and I haven't heard him complain about any lag spikes. Keep in mind, though, that D-Link, for whatever reason, doesn't ship the 64-bit drivers on the disc, so you'll need to download those on another computer in order to install the wireless card in the PC if you have Vista x64.

If you plan on gaming on a wireless network, don't cheap out and you'll probably be fine.

Buy it from Staples, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc. or any other place w/ a decent return policy so you can return the wireless system if it doesn't meet your needs.