Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
Allstar

Default Kaspersky 8 (2009) Released

Just a heads up for anyone running Kaspersky that version 8 was publically released on Monday and it's a free upgrade for anyone running version 6 or 7.

Product Updates

According to AV Comparitives, heurtistics detection (detection of unsignatured malicious code) is up substantially (21% to 49%). There are also a bunch of new features as well.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...nisse/KIS8.pdf

I just downloaded it today, so I haven't really used it enough to say whether I like it or not, but the computer starts quicker and the interface is easier to use, although the program itself consumes more memory when idling (~40 MB (KIS 8) up from ~25 MB (KIS 7) using Windows Vista 64-bit and ~25 MB (KAV 8) up from ~15 MB (KAV 7) using Windows XP) and scans take more CPU utilization under Vista (but not XP, oddly); KIS 8 uses both cores under Vista, only uses 1 core under XP.
Old August 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

God, I love Kaspersky. Canadian company too.
Old August 6, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

i will wait for the report from AV-Test.org Tests of Anti-Virus- and Security-Software ( or pc world)
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
God, I love Kaspersky. Canadian company too.
I thought they were Russian ... ???
Quote:
Kaspersky Lab Headquarters, Moscow

10/1 1st Volokolamsky Proezd
Moscow 123060
Russian Federation

Telephone:
Multi-channel: +7 (495) 797-8700 10.00 to 18.30 Moscow time
Anyways, onto version 8, it has some sweet new features like vulnerability scans (Security Analyzer and a standalone analyzer for Internet Explorer), virtual on-screen keyboard, a privacy cleaner, and some new stuff behind the scenes.

Huge improvement in presentation with graphs, bar charts, and easier access to the important stuff.

I have been experiencing some issues w/ Opera with high CPU utilization (by Kaspersky) and lag loading larger webpages. The default increase in connections that Opera uses appears to be the culprit as lowering the setting lessens the impact. For now, I just set Opera to the list of exclusions until it gets fixed. Firefox and Internet Explorer don't appear to be affected, at least not with default settings. If you increase the number of connections Firefox uses, you may experience the same results as I did w/ Opera, but I don't care enough about FF to try it out :P
Old August 6, 2008, 09:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I thought they were Russian ... ???

Anyways, onto version 8, it has some sweet new features like vulnerability scans (Security Analyzer and a standalone analyzer for Internet Explorer), virtual on-screen keyboard, a privacy cleaner, and some new stuff behind the scenes.
I know that their founder moved to Montreal about 5 years ago if I recall correctly. As a matter of fact, when you get their retail package (I think Wal Mart sells it now) the 1-800 number they give you for NA tech support is for a place here in Montreal. I actually redesigned the building they are (or maybe were) housed.

But yes, they are Russian...my mistake.