Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Default Recommendation on data partition within Vista64

I am currently building a HTPC and have a question for you guys.

I plan on adding drives to the data partition as needed and I want to be able to grow the partition over different hard drives. Should I just use the built in dynamic disk feature of windows or do you guys have other suggestions ?

sadly the ich10r does not do JBOD :/
Old August 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Growing partitions is a crap shoot even with expensive controllers and pro software. I would not even try. How fast can you fill a terabyte drive and how fast do you plan to add them? Just add new drive letters.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:04 AM
Rookie

I can sadly fill them at a rapid pace. My problem with assigning new drive letters is just preference. I HATE HAVING TO LOOK THROUGH MULTIPLE DRIVES :D. Specially when lets say, TV shows, take more then a TB and you have the same type of data spread out. This is why I wanted to be able to grow over drives and just have a d: (data) partition that's nice and clean with generic top level domains: mp3, TV , movies etc.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The only other idea I have is a Drobo. It would be external storage but it presents itself as a single drive and you can just feed it more disks and it automagically deals with the file management. The reviews of the original were poor but there is a new one out now that is a lot better and has forced the price on the old one down.
Old August 7, 2008, 09:51 AM
Rookie

that is a very nice product, wish it was esata and not firewire 800. The only problem in my situation is my array is for an HTPC on an AV rack and I am trying to keep everything confined within the case.