Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   O/S's, Drivers & General Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/)
-   -   Microsoft sees end of Windows era (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/o-ss-drivers-general-software/9096-microsoft-sees-end-windows-era.html)

Killswitch August 4, 2008 12:20 PM

Microsoft sees end of Windows era
 
"Called Midori, the cut-down operating system is radically different to Microsoft's older programs.

It is centred on the internet and does away with the dependencies that tie Windows to a single PC.

It is seen as Microsoft's answer to rivals' use of "virtualisation" as a way to solve many of the problems of modern-day computing.":blarg:

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft sees end of Windows era

Okay that might be cool for those who aren't able to build their own PC's and solve software issues, but what about people like us who DO like to build, game, benchmark, etc??????:sad:

It looks like eventually every computer will have to basically work exactly the same as the next one, almost like telephones. :dots:

DarKStar August 4, 2008 12:34 PM

Terrible idea - Now with ISPs charging ridiculously high prices for broadband not to mention monthly bandwidth limits (also ridiculous). An OS tied to the internet what a ******-up (excuse me) idae - People are screaming PRIVACY and now this ? This is a damn joke - so hey my ISP has downtime, guess I can't use my PC - whoever thought of that idea is MESSED UP and should be FIRED.

I'll stick to XP thank you very much.

Killswitch August 4, 2008 12:44 PM

Hmmmm. I just read that Mr.William Henry Gates III is at Microsoft as a part-time, non-executive chairman. Looks like it's time for him to step back up to the plate before EVERYTHING goes down the shitter!

enaberif August 4, 2008 01:16 PM

Ahh all the more reason why XP is still looking good to me.

Midori is believed to be under development because Windows is unlikely to be able to cope with the pace of change in future technology and the way people use it.

Windows worked well in an age when most people used one machine to do all their work. The operating system acted as the holder for the common elements Windows programs needed to call on.


And this further proves my point that nobody knows exactly what is in store for a operating system. So those people who keep saying things like 64bit is the future or quads are the next best thing.. you don't know what is the next best thing.

DarKStar August 4, 2008 01:36 PM

Well 64bit will be the next thing actually - Windows 7 will be 64bit only actually, unless things have changed. So we will see the gradual move to 64bit - as to non dependcy based OS - lol - that would be optional - I don't think M$ can impose this on everyone, because not everyone is comfortable with the idea - I'm sure Micro$oft can learn from its mistake, when it tried to shove VISTA down people's throats, only hurting the PC gaming industry along the way with its DX10.

enaberif August 4, 2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKStar (Post 76089)
Well 64bit will be the next thing actually - Windows 7 will be 64bit only actually, unless things have changed. So we will see the gradual move to 64bit - as to non dependcy based OS - lol - that would be optional - I don't think M$ can impose this on everyone, because not everyone is comfortable with the idea - I'm sure Micro$oft can learn from its mistake, when it tried to shove VISTA down people's throats, only hurting the PC gaming industry along the way with its DX10.

There is too much legacy software out there that is not going to be updated to 64bit regardless which is going to make 64bit as it is today.. a secondary OS like Linux and OSX.

DarKStar August 4, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 76091)
There is too much legacy software out there that is not going to be updated to 64bit regardless which is going to make 64bit as it is today.. a secondary OS like Linux and OSX.

Well those 32bit apps will run in the 64 bit OS much like they do in VISTA, through Windows-On-Windows layer.

enaberif August 4, 2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKStar (Post 76093)
Well those 32bit apps will run in the 64 bit OS much like they do in VISTA, through Windows-On-Windows layer.

Some not all.

Tazer-[X] August 4, 2008 03:58 PM

LooL you guys are really having a fit over software that will never work. Also, there will always b e areally goood replacement, such as linux with emulation, and such. Personally,what I think would be #$% awesome, would have like Solaris x86 with DX9 support.

belgolas August 4, 2008 04:09 PM

Well Mac OSX runs 32bit and 64bit at the same time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:14 AM.