Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Don't worry when that happens Bell will be happy to increase your rates by 30% ;)

Videotron too apparently doesn't want that - they have a 20Gb/month limit, and for the 100Gb limit you have to pay nearly $73/month. I can see a time in the future where Internet will become a $100/month luxury - it's coming to that.
Don't believe the lie. Russia has cheaper internet and they are a bigger country and have a much larger population. Europe has cheaper internet and basically there is no 56K in Europe and they have a much much larger population.

Bell and Rogers just need to spend a little.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
MVP

i pay 180 for internet/phone with all the fixin's/digital HD tv and my internet limit is 60gb a month (i think i have passed that with only a warning from the company) not to mention the copyright infringment warnings i know nothing, i saw nothing, DON"T JUDGE ME!
Old August 5, 2008, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Free teh internetz0r..WE IZ PPL TOO YU KNW? As long as Bell will be run by greedy bastards Canada will not see any improvement on the internet side..China has the fiber wire stuff for some good years I think..
Enough with the bullshitting.. Microsoft just wanted some publicity over they're assess that's all..this project won't even see the day of light..i'm sure of that..
Old August 5, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_hawk View Post
Either I completely misread the article or some of you guys are nuts.
or both

Quote:
Imagine that you can basically just take your entire OS with you to work/school/friends/etc, without having to worry about what programs are installed, compatibility issues, security issues etc. (Unless you keep your own machine a mess...)
So you have no concerns over privacy ? This means that your entire desktop and OS is stored on some server somewhere in the world, and that anybody can potentially hack or have access to it ?

Sorry, the last thing I want is my OS to be stored on someone elses computer :D
Old August 7, 2008, 11:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

I think we’re missing the point and the media too. This will be for office environments.
and this kind of work only involves, e-mail, documents, database access, etc.
Having a full PC on their desk is a waste of money and maintenance.
So you end up with these ideas; http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/
Every year our IT dept. looks into this kind of thing, but we’re just not big enough
to get serious about it. (besides, give up your PC? Them’s fight’n words
For many jobs this just isn’t going to work, because you need the resources and power right there.

If this kinda of stuff starts becoming standard, Microsoft is going to want to make sure they are in on it, and are setting that standard.
Old August 7, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

I guess Microsoft is saying indirectly.. I will say it directly..

Stop Playing Games and Get Rid of the Upgrade Bug from your brains
Old August 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I think we’re missing the point and the media too. This will be for office environments.
and this kind of work only involves, e-mail, documents, database access, etc.
Having a full PC on their desk is a waste of money and maintenance.
So you end up with these ideas; http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/
Every year our IT dept. looks into this kind of thing, but we’re just not big enough
to get serious about it. (besides, give up your PC? Them’s fight’n words
For many jobs this just isn’t going to work, because you need the resources and power right there.

If this kinda of stuff starts becoming standard, Microsoft is going to want to make sure they are in on it, and are setting that standard.
we have already moved 98% of our users to these thin clients NComputing > Home 10 people can run off of 1 system - using dual core p4's, 4gig ram, sata-1 hd, XP 30 people w/ server 2003 we simply said 'this is how it's going to be'. ofcourse users complained but 'oh well' these (and like them) will take over before what this article is talking about. especially for business', schools, gov't, etc. simply to much of a security risk.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.0Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 | 2x2gig Musking Redlines 5-5-5-18-24 T2 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 702/1023 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXtreme 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.64-bit

Old August 7, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I guess Microsoft is saying indirectly.. I will say it directly..

Stop Playing Games and Get Rid of the Upgrade Bug from your brains
No, MIcrosoft wants you to play games or run software, only it won't be installed on your PC, you will "run" them online - Bits of codes will be downloaded to your memory or HDD and the rest run online, once you exit, it self destructs.

I think Microsoft will eventually move everything to electronic software delivery and rental. You wanna use Office, pay to use it. You wanna play solitaire for 6 hours, pay for it - in other words adopt the pay as you use model, in fact I heard rumors that eventually Microsoft will replace the windows update with a subscription based update - where you will need to pay a yearly fee to access updates, much like most anti-virus software out there. Now Microsoft can kiss my ass !
Old August 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

You got the last part a little wrong.. Now Microsoft can kiss our ass!
Old August 12, 2008, 02:30 PM
Rookie

I think you guys are a little nuts. You're taking the entire article out of context.

First, the way I read the article, it's a portable OS - meaning you can move your OS from your phone to your laptop to your desktop then back to your phone, making the operating system hardware-agnostic. Cool. You can't do that with a hard-coded OS whether it's windows or Linux or bloody Solaris for crying out loud.

Second, where does it say it's hosted online? I totally missed that part. It said it could be available anywhere in the world, that doesn't mean it lives on the internet. (Remote desktop anyone?)

Third, and I think this is freaking brilliant, given the bloatware installed in ALL operating systems nowadays:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article from BBC
the core of the operating system can be very small and easy to transfer to different devices. This, many believe, is the idea behind Midori - to create a lightweight portable operating system that can easily be mated to many different applications.
About bloody time if you ask me. Vista taking up 4GB of space on the C: drive? Who the hell needs everything that's installed?