Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
LooL you guys are really having a fit over software that will never work. Also, there will always b e areally goood replacement, such as linux with emulation, and such. Personally,what I think would be #$% awesome, would have like Solaris x86 with DX9 support.
Well anytime I see the word EMULATION I get nervous - Who wants to spend $$$ on getting the fastest processor and a good system to run stuff in EMULATION mode, which does not garantee 100% compatibility, and at the cost of a big performance hit. Sorry but I don't want to run my stuff in emulation mode :)
Old August 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Well anytime I see the word EMULATION I get nervous - Who wants to spend $$$ on getting the fastest processor and a good system to run stuff in EMULATION mode, which does not garantee 100% compatibility, and at the cost of a big performance hit. Sorry but I don't want to run my stuff in emulation mode :)

So, im sorry, did you just describe me your windows box?
Old August 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

God, di any of you even read the first sentense, its a Microsoft Research Product, i.e. chances are it will never see the light of day, its a dept of MS what basicly has free reign to do whatever they like with MS's money : Microsoft Research Home Alot of cool stuff being done that will never see the light, or atleast not for years, for example I remember being pa being part of socail network called Wallop, BEFORE myspace existed, BEFORE facebook existed, and frankly it was one of the best social networks I've EVER used, even now compaired to MySpace and Facebook, I still belive if they went public and didn't make it ultra exclusive invite only it would be what facebook and myspace are today.

But guess what they didn't, it was a social experement by MS Research, they do alot of cool junk but more or less its a resoure MS uses when they need to come up with new features and etc, not anything that ever really comes out and becomes its own product.
Old August 4, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
So, im sorry, did you just describe me your windows box?

#1) My windows is XP, I don't understand your point
#2) VISTA, ok it's maybe an emulation of an OS, is that what you're trying to say ?

All jokes aside, VISTA runs fine for me. ;)
Old August 4, 2008, 07:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

This will never see the light of day, it's not a terrible idea, but it has way too many flaws with it... for instance the dependance upon the internet... major flaw...

I don't see the gain this would have over remote accessing your pc... which I already do... It would just have more issues... Already bell is complaining that it can't handle any more internet traffic... so I don't think this would work out so well.

Oh and I think the ideas from this might be put into a new O/S but I don't think people will want to replace an OS with this...
Old August 4, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Already bell is complaining that it can't handle any more internet traffic...
That is because dell and rogers don't want to spend 1/10 of their billions on upgrading their dinosaur machines. They are very greedy companies.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
That is because dell and rogers don't want to spend 1/10 of their billions on upgrading their dinosaur machines. They are very greedy companies.
Maybe True

But... there is a limit to how much data can be carried over the cable / phone lines, so even when they do upgrade, there will still be a limit. So I dout companies moving towards bandwith limitations will ever move away from them (or it would take a big change in technology for that to happen).

ps. I hate bell
Old August 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
Don't worry when that happens Bell will be happy to increase your rates by 30% ;)

Videotron too apparently doesn't want that - they have a 20Gb/month limit, and for the 100Gb limit you have to pay nearly $73/month. I can see a time in the future where Internet will become a $100/month luxury - it's coming to that.
Old August 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
MVP

Either I completely misread the article or some of you guys are nuts.

If this is talking about virtualization like how it's already happening in Linux, this is the greatest idea since sliced bread.

Imagine that you can basically just take your entire OS with you to work/school/friends/etc, without having to worry about what programs are installed, compatibility issues, security issues etc. (Unless you keep your own machine a mess...)

Even if it did rely on the internet, hopefully by then Fiber will be more widespread and we'll have an intelligent ISP with a SLA.
Old August 5, 2008, 02:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
"Called Midori, the cut-down operating system is radically different to Microsoft's older programs.

It is centred on the internet and does away with the dependencies that tie Windows to a single PC.

It is seen as Microsoft's answer to rivals' use of "virtualisation" as a way to solve many of the problems of modern-day computing."

BBC NEWS | Technology | Microsoft sees end of Windows era

Okay that might be cool for those who aren't able to build their own PC's and solve software issues, but what about people like us who DO like to build, game, benchmark, etc??????

It looks like eventually every computer will have to basically work exactly the same as the next one, almost like telephones.

THATS AWESOME!!!! WOO UBUNTU LINUX... woops sorry that was from my old days when i used ubuntu (maybe i will again)