Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2008, 10:45 AM
MVP

Default Oh Crap... input appreciated...

Well I did something incrdibly dumb and used a driver cleaner and wipe q few kinda important drivers from my system. So as annoying as that was I thought i will just reinstall them... tis is where my headache begins. I managed to reinstall the Deathadder driver but it doesn't recognize the mouse when its plugged in but for now just plugging it into another USB port is letting it work as a USB compliant mouse. Which works for me. Now the nvidia drivers. The whole reason I wanted to clean my drivers out to begin with was i am going to install a new 8800gt to replace the 8600 gt i am using now. But the damn nvidia drivers just won't fricking install. There is one more thing I haven't done but I am going to install the 8800 before I try I didn't reinstall any of the actual XFX drivers. The new card is EVGA so i am going to try and install that card first install the EVGA drivers and THEN try and install the nvidia drivers again. I will be online on my crappy laptop while I am installing the 8800 to see if anyone has any input for me. Thanks all and wish me luck.
Old August 1, 2008, 10:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

You might want to try CCleaner's registry cleaning tool. Could help solve so leftovers causing issues.
Download link: Download CCleaner 2.10.618 - FileHippo.com
Old August 1, 2008, 10:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The drivers all come from nvidia, you don't need to install a specific brand driver. Download latest driver from Nvidia, install with 8600GT. Replace card with 8800GT. It should work fine. The drivers are released for the 8,9 series of cards, not just individual ones.
Old August 2, 2008, 10:26 AM
MVP

weird thing is the EVGA driver seems to be more currect than the one from nvidia. And a stupid question but is it possible to run CCcleaner without it getting rid of my IE history. I have used it before and liked its results but my Fiance hated the fact that it cleared out our regularly visited sites. But yeah I am gonna try it again and see if I can disable that function.