Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2008, 09:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default First time Vista impressions from a late adopter

Ok, so I finally took the plunge and installed Vista Home Premium (32bit) on a new(ish) build.

Just going to drop in some observations and maybe ask some questions if I run into snags.

Hardware:

E6400
2X1G Buffalo Firestix
EVGA e7100/630i Mobo
Sonata III w/ 500W PSU
Seagate 250G 7200.10 Sata II (new single platter model)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

I am def interested in your thoughts on vista as i am going to be running the 64 bit version
Old July 26, 2008, 09:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Initial impressions are pretty good actually.

The install went smoothly (except for some crappy d-link draft-n adapter drivers which kept freezing the machine) and this machine at stock speeds is actually a pretty snappy general use PC.

So far, Nero 7 installed without a problem, as well as OpenOffice, and Paint.net. I've also got the Boinc client running Rosetta so we'll see how that works.

First thing I did was turn off UAC, is that something I should have another look at now that the initial install is complete?

Another question for folks running Vista 32bit... what freeware virus app are you running? I've had so many problems with AVG under XP pro (legit version believe it or not... :) ) that I'm looking for an alternative.

On the GFX front... this 7100 chipset scores 3.0 on the hardware scale so it's able to run Aero glass smoothly, but I haven't checked out the 3D stuff yet. (It's running great at 1360X768)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 26, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd be interested to see what your impressions are sswilson. I don't think that I'll go there (Vista 64) until some game I want requires it, but you never know.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old July 26, 2008, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm going to take it sswilson isn't much of a power user?
Old July 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I dual boot xp/vista and find myself only going into xp now for certain games.
IMO just leave UAC off, I hate it, I know my computer hasn't been compromised. That said the wifes is turned on, only because she is a novice user and hers could very well become compromised.

I use AVG pro on all my rigs, she used to have Norton's installed but even she saw what a resource hog Norton's is.

That said I am using 1184mb of ram right now, xp would never have ate this much up with what is running on my rig right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm going to take it sswilson isn't much of a power user?
enaberif are you okay, feeling alright? That wasn't even a real "bash" against vista
My faith in the multi-verse is failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 26, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I dual boot xp/vista and find myself only going into xp now for certain games.
IMO just leave UAC off, I hate it, I know my computer hasn't been compromised. That said the wifes is turned on, only because she is a novice user and hers could very well become compromised.

I use AVG pro on all my rigs, she used to have Norton's installed but even she saw what a resource hog Norton's is.

That said I am using 1184mb of ram right now, xp would never have ate this much up with what is running on my rig right now.

enaberif are you okay, feeling alright? That wasn't even a real "bash" against vista
Maybe I'm starting to soften up I don't know hahaha.

I just wanted to say that because I feel that power users and general users will have a different view on Vista.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i used avg free and vista was uber fast till i installed service pack 1 and it just all died and i went back to xp i might go to vista gain wheni get my new case settled lol i ran vista ultimate 64 bit. jsut gota 200 gb sata drive from a friend so i might give it another whirl.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post

LOL...that was the best comment I've seen in a long time!!!! Hahahaha ROFL

But man 1184Mb of RAM used already? WTH are you running man? A clean Vista Ultimate install runs maybe 666Mb....LOL a devillish number!
Old July 26, 2008, 10:01 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I had a disaster with my first install of Vista 64, here's why. In a dual boot environment always get vista to format the partition it is installing on. I used acronis dosk director in XP to create and format a partition for vista. So when I installed Vista on that partition and did not reformat it made Vista drive F: and it stayed that way even in vista. All kinds of crashes and driver issues. Also, it will leave the 'system volume information' folder from xp on there and cause a bunch more grief, including a checkdisk on every boot.

I got fed up and did a re-install with format and have not had a problem since.