Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2008, 05:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, so now that I've got the mouse buttons figured out, the scrolling windows is really a useful function for folks who have a lot of different apps open all at once.

So I guess that there is actually a function of Vista that I would use which isn't normally included in XP.

I have't had much of a chance to play with it yet other than some overclocking / stress testing, and some general surfing, but so far it's still not the evil thing I thought it was going to be. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 31, 2008, 05:55 AM
Allstar

Although I did some RC2 testing, I never installed Ultimate SP1 64bit until last week.
Found a big time difference in install times depending which mobo is used. Tried on ASRock 775DualVSTA and 4CoreDualVSTA and it installs very fast since the the drivers are already in the OS. I have since installed on the following Asus mobo's P5N-EM HDMI, P5Q Pro and P5K-SE and there are long pauses during the install.

The main reason I took the plunge was that the P5N-EM HDMI was not outputting sound through the HDMI. The video was fine but no sound ... only through the green output jack. Using Vista solved this issue for me.

I have been reading that if you turn UAC off after you have starting installing apps, it will cause issues down the road.

No comment using this OS yet ...
Old July 31, 2008, 07:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
If I'm going from an Nvidia board to an Nvidia board or Intel to Intel, I don't bother re-installing if I don't have to, and with XP you usually don't have to.

Oh yeah, that gets done when I remember where to find the thing

I was getting seriously blocky video playback, which appears to be a Cat 8.6 issue. I tried WMP11 when it first came out and IIRC they removed key functionality that was present in 10, and made it so the Quicksilver skin from WMP9 wouldn't work anymore, which is the only decent one they have. Trivial I know.

It's not like I haven't given Vista a chance, I've been using it in one form or another since the betas, but I'll be sticking with XP Pro as my primary OS for a while yet I think.
While it's great you don't reload your OS when switching boards, that's BS.
It's always best to reinstall a clean OS, or basically, expect problems, which you experienced.
I've tried that with XP before, as have others, & the result is often things getting effed up.
The fact you blame this on Vista is hilarious, but then again, you seem to blame Vista for everything that goes wrong on your system.

Can't remember how to turn off UAC?
Click on your user icon in the start menu...

And wtf again more blaming Vista for your DVD playback...i've been playing DVDs since RC1 of Vista OVER TWO YEARS ago without issues in Vista.

Not trying to be rude, there is enough nonsense in this thread i'm amazed people aren't choking on their own BS.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 31, 2008, 07:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaldemon View Post
Don't? your funny I have been working with every window OS since it's inception, I have the worked with dos all the way to this hell hole... drm, drivers, hardware.. do you comprehend anything about software or the mechanics of a machine , or you just one these store buyers that thinks because you can point and click its fine.

I also worked with cobalt, cobra, mac's, binary.. 26 years of learning has giving me the right to say wtf.... this to me is the millennium edition part 2 the uglier twin.

I could sit here half the night and try to get you understand the issues with vista, I been working with it since beta as well, and have vista home and ultimate 64 bit, hell i have 2 other machines built for that reason.. wish I knew what thread I posted a pic of the 3.. 4 machines I am using.
Really?

Somehow your post doesn't convince me.

I've been using Vista for nearly two years now & happen to be a tech, though no doubt a very dumb one, obviously.
One who's a store buyer who points & clicks, right?

I'd love to hear all your Vista issues as well.

So far this thread has been quite entertaining.

Lots of FUD & little to no actuality.

So please, enlighten me.
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 31, 2008, 08:05 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

My only vista problems are where driver related(nvidia&creative)and they've since been ironed out.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What drivers are you using for your Xfi?
Old July 31, 2008, 09:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The latest creative drivers.
Old July 31, 2008, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting, new drivers yesterday. (LOL, BSOD on install with XP-Pro)

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; July 31, 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old July 31, 2008, 10:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Now DD works with the creative drivers,but DTS still doesn't.Both work with the modded drivers.
Old July 31, 2008, 11:32 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I never thought I'd go with Vista but with my recent build, I jumped into Ultimate version and I do not regret it one bit. Granted my system is a decent powered unit but I don't find anything slow or painful. SP1 fixed a lot and they (Microsoft) has been leaking out updates here and there to fix other issues.

The only thing I'm a little annoyed with was the lack of a DreamScene package for the extras. Sure, they gave us DreamScene software but only one background? What happened to the beautiful Vista Orb?
They have several DreamScene packages which are optional updates through Windows Update ...

You can also use any .mpg or .wmv file as a background as well, IIRC ...