Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2008, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
So far I'm still much more impressed with Vista under these conditions than I thought I would be. I've currently got AVG, Openoffice Writer, Paint.net, IE, Media player, and the Boinc client all running at once (boinc is set to run even while computer is active) and physica memory usage is still only 970MB (54% of available) with no noticable lag at all in the system.

General impressions while installing is that large programs (like Nero or OpenOffice) seemed to install faster. I didn't do any kind of benchmarking on this, it's just an impression, however I do a full XP install at least every couple of months so my memory should be fairly fresh. :)

The 3D window interface isn't impressing me much, I kinda thought it would allow me to rotate the windows around rather than just putting them up in a row to allow me to select easier, although I can see where it would make switching between multiple pages fairly easy.

Overall, for general use, (and based on a very short testing experience) I see no reason why a person wouldn't go with Vista other than having a new interface to learn. I was expecting a sluggish memory hog, but so far am not experiencing any of that even on a stock E6400 with 2G mem and onboard vid.
What you forget is vista has something called superfetch; it will create a database of the programs you most commonly use and store those or cache them if you will.

This is why things may "seem" faster.
Old July 27, 2008, 02:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That wouldn't affect how fast they install though.

So far I haven't noticed any real difference in access times for programs, but keep in mind that this is a fresh install so there's still plenty of time for it to start bogging down. Stuff like "superfetch" is (IMO) what we need to watch for... I can see something like that having a rather voratious appetite for resources... :)

Latest glitch.... the default screensaver seems to have an issue with priorities.... it's not recovering when I've got heavy use from OCCT while testing.

On another note.... looks damn fine on a 40" Samsung LCD TV runniing 1360 X 768 :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 27, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I dual boot xp/vista and find myself only going into xp now for certain games.

I am the same way now as well. I used to use XP a fair bit but now only rarely go into it. And that is only for games.

All in all I think Vista is not a bad OS at all. I do have a few annoyances with it, like how it still takes longer to copy files than XP did, but really they are few and far between. Plus now it seems to have just as good driver support as XP does, at least with any semi-new hardware.

Old July 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
MVP
F@H

sswilson,
when you have the flip 3d interface up use your scroll wheel to flip through the open windows. I have my wheel button set to open flip 3d and then I flip through them all with the scroll wheel. It's great when you are major multi-tasking.

Oh, welcome to Vista!

I duel boot but only really only use XP for older games and a few older programs I don't want to buy again. Vista is not as bad as most think. For some it will never be what they want but I think most of the same people won't like Windows 7 either (hopefully more do though). I figured I'd have to adopt eventually so I did it with my new uber rig (getting less uber as the seconds tick by, LoL).

The only compatibility prob I've had so far is that I could not get this http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Sunbeam card reader to install. Could have been PEBKAC but while trying to instal it I physically broke a fan connector (definately PEBKAC) so I got a different card reader that did not require drivers. Even my HP printer installed no problem.

My biggest complaint so far is that Vista handles TCP dynamically and won't let you tweak it and related settings to help speed up surfing. In XP I could tweak all that and get a little boost to surfing. I don't know if it sped up a bit or if I just got used to it but I found Vista loads pages slower than XP, but as I said I'm used to it now.

Have you tried DX10 gaming yet? Vista is all about the bling and DX10 does bring the bling.
Old July 27, 2008, 09:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
sswilson,
when you have the flip 3d interface up use your scroll wheel to flip through the open windows. I have my wheel button set to open flip 3d and then I flip through them all with the scroll wheel. It's great when you are major multi-tasking.

Oh, welcome to Vista!

I duel boot but only really only use XP for older games and a few older programs I don't want to buy again. Vista is not as bad as most think. For some it will never be what they want but I think most of the same people won't like Windows 7 either (hopefully more do though). I figured I'd have to adopt eventually so I did it with my new uber rig (getting less uber as the seconds tick by, LoL).

The only compatibility prob I've had so far is that I could not get this http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Sunbeam card reader to install. Could have been PEBKAC but while trying to instal it I physically broke a fan connector (definately PEBKAC) so I got a different card reader that did not require drivers. Even my HP printer installed no problem.

My biggest complaint so far is that Vista handles TCP dynamically and won't let you tweak it and related settings to help speed up surfing. In XP I could tweak all that and get a little boost to surfing. I don't know if it sped up a bit or if I just got used to it but I found Vista loads pages slower than XP, but as I said I'm used to it now.

Have you tried DX10 gaming yet? Vista is all about the bling and DX10 does bring the bling.
The build I put this on is a mid range gen purpose machine so I doubt I'll see much DX10 gaming on it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 27, 2008, 09:23 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You shouldn't have any issues running Vista with an E6400, 2 Gb of ram and onboard video. I've been using Vista Ultimate on my laptop (T2300, 2Gb, onboard video) for a year, and it still runs pretty good for my standard.

As for your glitch, you should disable the screensaver when testing stability. Simply close (power off) the LCD when doing long testing runs. I've had the same problem with other softwares, like Orthos and P95.
Old July 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You shouldn't have any issues running Vista with an E6400, 2 Gb of ram and onboard video. I've been using Vista Ultimate on my laptop (T2300, 2Gb, onboard video) for a year, and it still runs pretty good for my standard.

As for your glitch, you should disable the screensaver when testing stability. Simply close (power off) the LCD when doing long testing runs. I've had the same problem with other softwares, like Orthos and P95.
Yeah I just shut the screensaver down, and lowered the OCCT Priority just in case.

Old July 27, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
sswilson,

I noticed this too when I first used VISTA, now I fixed all that. I've run a few tests, and the speed is equal if not faster than XP - I'm on a 10mbit cable broadband and I now get the same download speeds and upload speed and web page display.

BTW, I'm using Service Pack 1 and the recent network drivers - In VISTA as a default you have reserved bandwidth through QoS, I've used tweak programs like TweakVI, VistaManager and VistaSmoker, and tweaked a few network settings, mind you I don't know if those had any effects - I also used start->run-> gpedit.msc ->
local group policy
->computer configuration ->administrative templates -> network -> QoS Packet scheduling
->LIMIT reserved bandwidth

DISABLE these.

My web pages and files load faster than XP.

Before SP1 and all tweaks I used, my VISTA did 500KB/s max (around 4mbit) now it does 1200 KB/s, equal to what I get in XP.
Old July 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
Top Prospect

Well you could always try the old BlackViper and give that Vista a little tune to increase it's efficiency:

Super Tweaks for Windows Vista by Black Viper

There are some more guides on Vista Service Pack 1 on there as well to restore some responsiveness that many seem to comment on (lack off) after service pack 1.
Old July 27, 2008, 08:44 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Initial impressions are pretty good actually.

The install went smoothly (except for some crappy d-link draft-n adapter drivers which kept freezing the machine) and this machine at stock speeds is actually a pretty snappy general use PC.

So far, Nero 7 installed without a problem, as well as OpenOffice, and Paint.net. I've also got the Boinc client running Rosetta so we'll see how that works.

First thing I did was turn off UAC, is that something I should have another look at now that the initial install is complete?

Another question for folks running Vista 32bit... what freeware virus app are you running? I've had so many problems with AVG under XP pro (legit version believe it or not... :) ) that I'm looking for an alternative.

On the GFX front... this 7100 chipset scores 3.0 on the hardware scale so it's able to run Aero glass smoothly, but I haven't checked out the 3D stuff yet. (It's running great at 1360X768)
Avast runs decent on Vista ...

I always leave UAC off. It seems to interfere with software installations and it's annoying as hell.