Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2008, 09:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm going to take it sswilson isn't much of a power user?
Not on this rig. It's been built as a general use computer similar to the inexpensive big box HP/Compaq/Acer ones which are what the great majority of users need.

If I had any thoughts of it being a performance computer I'd fill the two memory slots with 2G sticks for at least 3.5g usable for Vista.

So far the most insidious complaint I have is the loss of my "up one level" button on my file folders, but that's probably just a matter of changing my preferences.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 26, 2008, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I found that Vista is fairly easy to use and actually....I never had any major issues with it. Not even driver wise....as for AV? I used AVG Free and never had issues! And doesn't it look pretty?
Old July 26, 2008, 09:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I had a disaster with my first install of Vista 64, here's why. In a dual boot environment always get vista to format the partition it is installing on. I used acronis dosk director in XP to create and format a partition for vista. So when I installed Vista on that partition and did not reformat it made Vista drive F: and it stayed that way even in vista. All kinds of crashes and driver issues. Also, it will leave the 'system volume information' folder from xp on there and cause a bunch more grief, including a checkdisk on every boot.

I got fed up and did a re-install with format and have not had a problem since.
yeah i did that first lol made a separate partition of 100gb then installed and it was fast as hell but the service pack 1 killed it, the drivers were disappering right and left, maybe i was comprmised witha security hole idk i had uac on, i learned to live with it by turning off the parts that anoyed me.
Old July 26, 2008, 09:43 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I use AVG 8.0 Free on my Vista rigs, with no reported issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Not on this rig. It's been built as a general use computer similar to the inexpensive big box HP/Compaq/Acer ones which are what the great majority of users need.

If I had any thoughts of it being a performance computer I'd fill the two memory slots with 2G sticks for at least 3.5g usable for Vista.

So far the most insidious complaint I have is the loss of my "up one level" button on my file folders, but that's probably just a matter of changing my preferences.
It's there Steve, just different. Check this out, and try to click on the arrow.

Old July 26, 2008, 09:46 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I use AVG 8.0 Free on my Vista rigs, with no reported issues.

It's there Steve, just different. Check this out, and try to click on the arrow.

Here's another trick. Hold alt and use the arrow keys.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

So it looks like the 64 bit vista will be ok on my rig.
I have a 120 gig sata drive i am going to add to my rig once i get it here ! That being said can i add xp on that drive and have a duel boot machine?

750 gig c: drive 64 bit vista os
120 gig d: drive i guess xp os
is it possiable to make this duel boot seeing how vista 64 bit is already installed on the main drive?
Old July 26, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibs View Post
Here's another trick. Hold alt and use the arrow keys.
And those are reasons I don't like Vista.
Old July 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBane View Post
a duel boot machine?
I had a duel boot machine where xp and vista fought each other, not good. What you want is a dual boot machine.
Old July 26, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For all you VISTA users, I highly recommend this freeware tool - Copy the contests of your install disc to a folder on your HDD and isntall VLITE, the latest version - You can use VLITE to customize your install, strip down the fat and uneeded bloat, integrate drivers, SPs, etc and build a new ISO. You would be very surprised, I managed to strip down to a CD-ROM sized install - Now my VISTA runs much faster and better and takes much less memory at boot - so I can use the full resources on games. Once installed you can use tools like VistaManager, VistaSmoker and TweakVI to further trim the fat - you can eventually make it just as fast if not better than XP. I get a 5.9 score btw, :D
Old July 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I had a duel boot machine where xp and vista fought each other, not good. What you want is a dual boot machine.

good eye , Would probbly help if i could spell at all ! lol let alone type!!!!!!!!