Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Windows XP installation problem, freezing on install, need help!

Hey guys, i need some help as i seem to be encountering an odd problem hopefully someone has come accross and resolved...

I have a computer with some parts that i know all work(tested them in my other rig)..

Athlon 2400+, 512mb ram, geforce 6200 video card etc etc...

Anyways, I have a hard drive i removed the old partition, created a new one and tried to use my windows xp disc to install xp, however during the installation phase(when booting up from disc for setup), it says 'Preparing windows xp installation - Press F6 for installation of raid/scsi drivers or something similar'.

The 'Press f6 for installation of raid drivers' disappears after about 2 seconds, and it sits on preparing installation forever with nothing else happening.

So i decided to go another route and install windows 98 first which installed flawlessly. I then tried the xp Disc, again, no luck.. I even tried a 'SECONDARY xp disc i have and no luck'. I then figured ok, maybe 98 it still too old, i'll install millenium over 98. So i start the install procedure for millenium and it goes through the first few minutes of installation and asks for a reboot.

So i then reboot the computer, a bar appears on the bottom of the screen saying preparing windows millenium installation and freezes there again..

Has anyone had any problems? I'm kinda wondering why 98 had no problems installing yet windows millenium, and two windows xp discs are having such difficulties.

Thanks for any help guys! Please ask if i didnt provide enough information on any of the steps i took.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

Maybe there something wrong with the partition you made? Just leave it blank and let XP partition it. Is this drive IDE or SATA that you're trying to install to?

Old July 25, 2008, 10:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

It's an IDE Drive. I only have two components really hooked up to the motherboard, the hard drive and a dvd writer. No secondary hard drives or anything.

I have tried what you suggested and still got the same results, it's a really odd problem(as i've installed xp on other computers before) this is the first that's giving me problems. I even went into the bios and turned off any un necessary features such as USB etc.

The thing that really gets me is why windows 98 has absolutely ZERO problems installing and i cant even get windows xp/millenium anywhere.

For the xp disc, i seriously get to the very first blue screen 'preparing for installation' and it does nothing after that, no options asking me to go ahead with install. Just a blank blue screen with preparing for installation on the top.

I read on the MS site that sometimes this part can take up to 30 minutes, so i even left it for quite some time to no avail. It did list on the website that if you still have access to alt ctrl delete that it means it hasnt hung, so once during the setup i tried it and it did nothing which tells me that the computer just froze...
Old July 25, 2008, 10:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Are you sure sure sure your ram is okay? Only two things I know that cause error at that screen are bad ram or a dead hard drive... Could you check it with Memtest86?
Old July 25, 2008, 10:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

As far as i know the RAM works as i have tried it in two computers, and like i said this comptuer 'will' boot with windows 98..

That being said, i've never used Memtest86.. Is this something that can be run during boot? I'll give it a download and post the results in a little bit, i have a brunch date to attend to first.. thanks alot for the replies guys, i'll keep you posted.

I'm going to try a little later taking some of the ram out from my other computer and tossing it into this one to see if that remedies the problem, as i said though i'm heading on brunch so i will probably get back to this tonight, if anyone has any other suggestions for what i should try please feel free to post!
Thanks alot for the help guys.

Last edited by Dot Merix; July 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional stuff
Old July 25, 2008, 11:17 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

No problem! Let us know what memtest86 turns up. I think that win98 installs okay because it is a much oldre OS and not as RAM-Intensive. therefore, even though Win98 installs properly, your ram could still be at fault when trying to install windows.... Or I could be totally wrong. But running a memtest cant hurt any. hehe
Old July 25, 2008, 03:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well i didnt get to use memtest(I dont have a floppy drive) which from what i've seen is required for memtest...
I did however try a few other ram modules that i have(tried all one at a time) and same problem each time, which tells me this probably isnt a ram problem(as i pulled one of the sticks from my other system(which is almost identical and runs xp right now). This is quite frustrating that i cant get this working.
I've now tried 3 different ram types aswell to see if that somehow caused the problem, i've tried pc2100, pc2700 and pc3200 to no avail.
Old July 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well after much jiggling, constant restarting etc.. I 'somehow' managed to get it past that one section and it is now formatting through the xp disc(Woo hoo)... I honestly wish i could tell someone what i did to fix it so in case they run into the same thing it will start working..

I -Think- It may have had something to do with the ram slot.

I know ram slot 1 works, and ram slot 2 is broken. I tried taking the ram from ram slot 1 and putting it in two, which didnt even allow the computer to turn on, after removing it and putting it back into ram slot one.. It seems to be working now.

In any case, once xp is up and running i'll post again to confirm. In the meantime i just wanted to wish you guys a firm thanks for the suggestions!