Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2008, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
This is weird... my HD4870 now reads higher temps on fresh on / idle than it used to before. I used to get 38/39 at start, 44-45 on load. Now I get 42 on start, 47 on load.
Had you previously made a fan profile? Like so many have with this series. You will need to re-create them with a fresh driver install.
Old July 28, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I have noticed some game crashes and even comp freezes so ATI needs some newer drivers but I am afraid I have to wait a month.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old July 29, 2008, 06:30 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Well, I guess everything for me is multiplied much more than a normal user since I am testing more games in 48 hours than most people play over the course of 3 months...
Old July 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
Had you previously made a fan profile? Like so many have with this series. You will need to re-create them with a fresh driver install.
I don't run the stock ATI cooler. I have modified the 4870 with a ThermalRight HT-03 with a 90mm fan running at 1800RPM all the time.
| Antec 1200 Case | Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit |
Old July 29, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Well, I guess everything for me is multiplied much more than a normal user since I am testing more games in 48 hours than most people play over the course of 3 months...
O/T.. I don't know if you have a full-time job(other than reviewer ), but i don't know how you do it. You review all these products, take pics, read reviews...post on other sites(ie. XS)...and just generally stay ahead of the news. I don't work(on Canada pension..disability-FUBAR back )..and i'd still be lucky to do half of what you do. Kudo's to you SKYMTL...as well as all the other HWC reviewers. /Sorry for the OT...your post just inspired me to say that.
Old July 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree, the dedication that skymtl shows here is a large reason for the site's success. You didnt even mention the time he spends negotiating with manufacturers securing top review products. That is not as easy as one may think.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
O/T.. I don't know if you have a full-time job(other than reviewer ), but i don't know how you do it. You review all these products, take pics, read reviews...post on other sites(ie. XS)...and just generally stay ahead of the news. I don't work(on Canada pension..disability-FUBAR back )..and i'd still be lucky to do half of what you do. Kudo's to you SKYMTL...as well as all the other HWC reviewers. /Sorry for the OT...your post just inspired me to say that.
Architect & Project Manager. Full time.

Since this week is the construction holiday here in Quebec, the number of calls coming in, people working and the overall workload has gone down so I am able to post here alot more.

As for the reviewing. It all comes down to effective time management since I consider this a hobby.
Old July 29, 2008, 01:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Architect & Project Manager. Full time.

Since this week is the construction holiday here in Quebec, the number of calls coming in, people working and the overall workload has gone down so I am able to post here alot more.

As for the reviewing. It all comes down to effective time management since I consider this a hobby.

Fellow Quebec resident here.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old July 29, 2008, 09:42 PM

All right, I will post more about it in the review but you will all not believe me...so here it goes.

If you do not want to reinstall Windows, are going from one ATI card to the next and have an Nvidia card lying around, you are in luck.

Uninstall the Cat drivers the usual way, install the Nvidia card with all its accompanying drivers, reboot and uninstall the Nvidia card. Now go through the whole process of installing the Crossfired cards once again. Reboot into windows and you will see the Crossfire option isn't availble in the CCC, reboot again and it will show up.

I did this on my older install of VIsta x64 and the HD4850 CF cards are running butter smooth..with only the usual crash in Vantage.

Go figure...
Old July 29, 2008, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

Woooooot, can't wait to see the review and see if the scaling for these in CF compared to the 15k you got on the single 4850 in 3DMark06, with scaling I will estimate high 18k to low 19k with an OC. Damn if your bored you could try the PCIe Freq to 110MHz to note any difference.