Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2008, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Default HD Image restore problem

I created 2 primary partitions on my hd and installed xp, then vista. i installed norton ghost 14 in xp and made an image of the xp partition and then the partition of vista from xp. when i tried to restore the vista partition, it wont boot into vista, but when i restored just the xp, it works fine, but right after restoring vista, nothing boots up, even xp. i am kinda new to imaging hd, so help will be appreciated
Old July 7, 2008, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you get the menu for selecting XP or Vista? Or the no system disk error?
Old July 7, 2008, 06:45 PM
Rookie

i dont get anything after restoring both vista and xp, no boot scree not even system disk error. it just stays blank. i even tried setting the vista as the boot partition under options when restoring it, but no luck. any suggestions?
Old July 8, 2008, 05:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That sounds like something else has gone wrong. If the MBR, PBR, or the signatures are messed up the BIOS should be complaining. Check your hardware first.

Check this site out: Multibooters - Dual/Multi Booting With Vista There is lots of good information on the XP and VISTA boot process and what can go wrong with it. There is also some information on cloning VISTA. This is hard as the new VISTA boot process does not play nice with imaging techniques. Lots of people are having problems so do not feel bad.