Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Is it time for Vista 64bit?

A HD4870 is on the way-my first DX10 capable card and vista 64 bit is now going for a great price.

I use this system for work and gaming-BUT the primary programs I use are R-statistical software and Office 97-yes "97".

Basically is Vista 64 bit ready for the masses-as concerns stability in games, and software compatibility?? Id love to go for it but don't rally have too much time to troubleshoot.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
A HD4870 is on the way-my first DX10 capable card and vista 64 bit is now going for a great price.

I use this system for work and gaming-BUT the primary programs I use are R-statistical software and Office 97-yes "97".

Basically is Vista 64 bit ready for the masses-as concerns stability in games, and software compatibility?? Id love to go for it but don't rally have too much time to troubleshoot.
I don't believe Vista needs to be used at all as there simply isn't anything I found in it that makes it worthwhile or faster than XP.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I dont have too much problems with Vista 64. It works for me. I mean, I dont do much more than game, and forum work....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 4, 2008, 07:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I don't have any problems with Vista x64 and all i use it for on my gaming rig is... Gaming and Music, and the odd movie or two.

Runs great, haven't experienced any issues with it since Service Pack 1 was released.
Old July 4, 2008, 11:41 PM
Allstar

I also run Vista x64 (Business) and have no problems with anything. I use my computer for tons of different stuff (games, office applications, downloading, music, video editing, photo editing, graphic design, media server, FTP, etc.) ... Performs flawlessly ...

Any software that runs on Vista x86 runs on Vista x64, in my experience (which, really, is everything that I've thrown at it). There are some devices which are supported in Vista x86 that aren't supported in Vista x64, but they seem to be few and far between. Check to make sure all your peripherals have Vista x64 support before taking the leap.

I'm not sure Office 97 will work. If it does, it'll probably have to run in Windows 98 or Windows 2000 compatibility mode. When you set compatibility mode, don't forget to check "Run Program as Administrator" (only applicable if you have UAC enabled) and "Disabled Desktop Composition." I've heard some programs also need to have "Disable Visual Themes" checked, but I've yet to run across any.

Last edited by Jmac; July 4, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old July 4, 2008, 11:53 PM
Top Prospect

XP 64 has "matured" and well developed drivers but support for this OS will surely begin to dissipate and a greater focus towards Vista 64. Hopefully the vast majority of Drivers being produced will be "backwards compatible" if the kernels aren't significantly different and both OS's will benefit.

If your primary software seems adaptable (e.g. the statistical application) then Vista maybe ok, you might want to increase your RAM though for the added eye candy etc etc. I have 4Gb and are certainly thinking about the change but I am still very happy with XP and their are discussions on the outcomes from the 2 from a purely performance basis (XP kicks more goals cause it doesn't have the eye candy).
Old July 5, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for the response lads.

For gaming I was hoping to see something "extra" with Dx10-especially now that the 4870 doesn't take too much of a hit moving from XP to Dx10. It seems that vista 64 bit performs better in crysis at least than the 32 bit vista-BUT Xp with the very high tweak looks good too. I really need to see more games in DX10 vs DX9 XP though.

As for its general performance I'm also expecting vista 64 to be slower than xp with the 2x2gb mem.

It really comes down to gaming-and whether or not vista games look better than xp. If they dont I'll leave it for now till they do

For the work software I can always use a dual boot with XP if it doesn't work out but it would be easier if it did.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 5, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Thanks for the response lads.

For gaming I was hoping to see something "extra" with Dx10-especially now that the 4870 doesn't take too much of a hit moving from XP to Dx10. It seems that vista 64 bit performs better in crysis at least than the 32 bit vista-BUT Xp with the very high tweak looks good too. I really need to see more games in DX10 vs DX9 XP though.

As for its general performance I'm also expecting vista 64 to be slower than xp with the 2x2gb mem.

It really comes down to gaming-and whether or not vista games look better than xp. If they dont I'll leave it for now till they do

For the work software I can always use a dual boot with XP if it doesn't work out but it would be easier if it did.
Sit down and look at the list of current games supporting DX10, the current list of games TO support DX10 and that should give you your answer.
Old July 5, 2008, 08:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and I don't really have any major complaints. Everything works fine for me.

Whether or not DX10 is worth it is up to you. Though I must say Assassin's Creed looks rather nice. Crysis only runs on medium settings for me though so it doesn't look the greatest.

The only issue you may have is with drivers for peripherals, mainly printers.

Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM is plenty fast. Nothing lags for me.

Just remember that you need a 64bit OS to use all 4GB of RAM...
Old July 5, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 and I don't really have any major complaints. Everything works fine for me.

Whether or not DX10 is worth it is up to you. Though I must say Assassin's Creed looks rather nice. Crysis only runs on medium settings for me though so it doesn't look the greatest.

The only issue you may have is with drivers for peripherals, mainly printers.

Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM is plenty fast. Nothing lags for me.

Just remember that you need a 64bit OS to use all 4GB of RAM...
Have you ever actually checked your ram usage after a fresh boot... guess what you don't have 4gb either :P