Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2008, 06:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Microsoft has the Vista Upgrade Advisor ...

Get Windows Vista: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

I would recommend Vista on any new computer, but if you've got a computer thats over 1.5 years old, I would just stick w/ XP until you're ready to replace it.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade unless you have:

- Dual core CPU (or better)
- AMD S754 or newer chipset/Intel P965 generation or newer chipset
- 2 GB or more of RAM
- A hard drive w/ at least 60 GB of free space (Vista will consume 15-25 GB, depending on which version you use)
Well I have:

- Quad Core CPU
- Nforce chipsets (XFX 680i LT SLI Mobo)
- 4GB of SLI certified DDR2
- 1TB of HD space

I'm assuming I will be able to run Vista smoothly?
Old July 15, 2008, 10:49 PM
Allstar

Yeah ...
Old July 17, 2008, 01:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sit down and look at the list of current games supporting DX10, the current list of games TO support DX10 and that should give you your answer.
+1 if the majority of your applications run / perform best in VISTA64 got for it.
Also, will your aps gain from 4GB+?

I've been slowly comparing 6 versions of windows myself. hehe
The new ones still have growing pains compared to XP of course.
Q6600 Lap'd @ 3.7 || Ultra-120 Extrm Lap'd || 4 x 2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 @ 822 || Gigabyte EP45-UD3P || 2 x 4870 Crossfire || Thermaltake VA8003BWS || RAID 0 (2x150GB Raptor) + RAID 1 (2x2TB Green) || Seasonic X760 Gold 750watt || Dell 24" Wide || RME Fireface 400 ||Tannoy Reveal Active 2.1 || G25 Racing || MX 3100 Keyboard / Mouse
Old July 17, 2008, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I don't believe Vista needs to be used at all as there simply isn't anything I found in it that makes it worthwhile or faster than XP.
....what about DX10 ? :D
Old July 18, 2008, 01:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek View Post
+1 if the majority of your applications run / perform best in VISTA64 got for it.
Also, will your aps gain from 4GB+?

I've been slowly comparing 6 versions of windows myself. hehe
The new ones still have growing pains compared to XP of course.
Impressive research and there should more studies like this as there are significantly divided opinions out there. Personally, I gave a bit of an emotional rant earlier in this thread, wrt to XP vs. Vista, but the comment by Eldonko made me more curious and consider I could be wrong (just because I have XP doesn't mean I have crap gear though!).

Just an observation in your "experiment design" though. Establishing 6 OS's on 6 different partitions', wont that mean that each partition is located from the outer to the inner reaches of the HDD (even though RAID0) and therefore potentially have different access time potentials? Just curious, and thus would it be reasonable to expect that the last OS installed has the highest access time for the HDD and therefore the greatest potential to have impeded results from benchmarks. Admittedly the benchmark app should predominantly be loaded into the RAM but if HDD activity occurs "at all" could this be skewing the DATA?

For fair and comparable results wouldn't a clean install be more meaningful? I know a complete pain in the arse, but provide significant robustness to your study.
Old July 18, 2008, 02:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

I think it is time for Vista 64 bit, but if you already have XP, it might be a good idea to Dual Boot 2 hard drives with both Vista & XP. Then you can switch between the two (just in case Vista doesn't support something... like an older game). You can also partition one HD to do this but two HD's would be better.

oh and put 8 gigs of ram in your computer and see the difference of available memory on Vista x64 and XP

Last edited by Jon_di2; July 18, 2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old July 18, 2008, 02:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
I think it is time for Vista 64 bit, but if you already have XP, it might be a good idea to Dual Boot 2 hard drives with both Vista & XP. Then you can switch between the two (just in case Vista doesn't support something... like an older game). You can also partition one HD to do this but two HD's would be better.
Run anything DX10 on Vista and anything not on XP.
Old July 19, 2008, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
Just an observation in your "experiment design" though. Establishing 6 OS's on 6 different partitions', wont that mean that each partition is located from the outer to the inner reaches of the HDD (even though RAID0) and therefore potentially have different access time potentials? Just curious, and thus would it be reasonable to expect that the last OS installed has the highest access time for the HDD and therefore the greatest potential to have impeded results from benchmarks. Admittedly the benchmark app should predominantly be loaded into the RAM but if HDD activity occurs "at all" could this be skewing the DATA?

For fair and comparable results wouldn't a clean install be more meaningful? I know a complete pain in the arse, but provide significant robustness to your study.
Hi Boldeagle,
Thanks for the earlier compliment.
Don't wish to take this thread OT, so I'll try and keep it to just this reply.

You are absolutely correct! hehe
I've taken that into account before, and during the test. (it's in the post)
Fortunately, our variable has made little / no impact on the results for two reasons.

There is very little / no swapping going on. Also if the partitions were a factor,
we could use the HD bench results to figure out compensation. Luckyly the HD results,
are also rather linear across the platters.

Please feel free to PM me or post in that thread regarding the benchies,
as your input is valued.

Thanks, Tomek.
Q6600 Lap'd @ 3.7 || Ultra-120 Extrm Lap'd || 4 x 2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 @ 822 || Gigabyte EP45-UD3P || 2 x 4870 Crossfire || Thermaltake VA8003BWS || RAID 0 (2x150GB Raptor) + RAID 1 (2x2TB Green) || Seasonic X760 Gold 750watt || Dell 24" Wide || RME Fireface 400 ||Tannoy Reveal Active 2.1 || G25 Racing || MX 3100 Keyboard / Mouse
Old July 19, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't know if we are allowed to mention other forums here, but there is one dealing with hardware and graphics card / drivers where people swear by Vista 64 that it is far better for games than Vista 32 or XP 32 - Now I haven't experienced that myself yet but a lot of people claim it is better :)
Old July 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I don't know if we are allowed to mention other forums here
Ops.. Sorry. I'll check into it w/ the Mods. I figured it be ok as they are affiliated.