Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2008, 11:47 PM
Allstar

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference performance-wise, either ... Other than my favourite games loading quicker ...
Old July 8, 2008, 06:25 AM
Top Prospect

I just went through the VISTA or XP decision this weekend --- I went for a P5Q Pro board from NCIX and a new seagate hard drive with the 32 meg cache and had to load up a new OS. The VISTA was the freebie upgrade from a laptop bought last year and was the 32 bit version.

To be honest I like VISTA. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did complete fresh install with service pack 1 and then I put on video card drivers. I'm not an engineer so all the details are lost on me, but by the seat of my pants VISTA works great. No random anything happening.
Old July 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

Default xp vs vista 64

I am pretty new at this, I work at home, in web design and, do 100s of hours of video rendering. As well as office applications, including adobe masters collection, and, office 2007. I design my own 3D graphics, and, progam developemen. I also play games, and, do online flash players. I would argue by my own experience,that there is absolutly no comparison in regards to the speed of Vista 64. It blows away XP. For example, I was rendering blue ray at 8 frames per second, and now 28 frames per second. Video streaming at 23 frames per second, and, on Vista 64, an amazing, 56 frames per second (xp not even close). I guess that my point is, that if all ya do is surf the net, and play x box game, XP would be appropriate. But if you want to get the fullest out of your CPU, then Vista 64 would be more appropriate. As far as older computers not being able to run this operating system thats Wrong, I just loaded it in an Asus p5gd1 915 chipst with a measly 3.2 1mb cache without removing any hardware. no errrors and 0 conlicts on 2gigs of ddr 400 ram and an old asus x550 ddr video card. All set up with office 07 and adobe photoshop and a all in one wireless printer as well as some new game and everything works great. It runs all of vista options no problem. To me now xp is a waste of time and money. Just think man used horse and buggy but then the car came out and there was probably just as many sceptics. anyway I was a hard core xp pro fan until I installed this Vista 64, so my advice Dont listen to the negative give it a try for yourself its worth it and I cant wait for Window 7!!!
Just so you now: 0 education in computers it probably shows!
100% school of hard knocks

Old July 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
My point I was getting at was that whether you use 32bit or 64bit OS you won't have 4gb after everything is subtracted.
That is the biggest load of crap I have seen to date on this subject. Every single PC (15+)I have built with 4GB of ram and Vista 64 bit have 4GB+ available since NOTHING is subtracted from the 64-bit OS unless you have onboard graphics sharing system memory. This is unlike you to post something like this since it is just so wrong. Type "winver" into the start search box and it will tell you how much system memory is available to Windows. You should keep your irrational dislike for Vista straight with reality.

As for Windows 7 or whatever they will call it, don't look for that before 2012. Vista will be older than XP ever got by the time Microsoft finishes milking it. Now that Bill is gone, they are sure to slow down their already slow release schedules.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Fresh boot .. 3.7gb .. Not all 4gb.

It IS more than the 3.2-3.5 you'll see with a 32bit OS you still don't usage to all of it.
Old July 15, 2008, 01:21 AM
Allstar

XP 64-bit ?
Old July 15, 2008, 03:30 AM
MVP

After reading through this thread, I think I might take the plunge and install Vista 64bit. I've never had any issues what-so-ever with XP, maybe the very rare crash after being left on for months without a reboot. But I'd like to see what Vista is like. Only thing is, I know nothing about Vista, so it will take a while getting used to. Just like the jump from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 :P

My question is, are there any sites that have a check list to make sure you have everything to run Vista. Like do you have to update your BIOS or anything like that?
Old July 15, 2008, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
XP 64-bit ?
Yup but whether its xp or vista the 64bit OS uses more for overhead.
Old July 15, 2008, 05:18 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
After reading through this thread, I think I might take the plunge and install Vista 64bit. I've never had any issues what-so-ever with XP, maybe the very rare crash after being left on for months without a reboot. But I'd like to see what Vista is like. Only thing is, I know nothing about Vista, so it will take a while getting used to. Just like the jump from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 :P

My question is, are there any sites that have a check list to make sure you have everything to run Vista. Like do you have to update your BIOS or anything like that?
Microsoft has the Vista Upgrade Advisor ...

Get Windows Vista: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

I would recommend Vista on any new computer, but if you've got a computer thats over 1.5 years old, I would just stick w/ XP until you're ready to replace it.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade unless you have:

- Dual core CPU (or better)
- AMD S754 or newer chipset/Intel P965 generation or newer chipset
- 2 GB or more of RAM
- A hard drive w/ at least 60 GB of free space (Vista will consume 15-25 GB, depending on which version you use)
Old July 15, 2008, 05:19 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yup but whether its xp or vista the 64bit OS uses more for overhead.
I realize that, just wanted to make sure it wasn't say Windows Server 2003, which is a 32+4 bit OS that will actually support all 4 GB ...