Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Have you ever actually checked your ram usage after a fresh boot... guess what you don't have 4gb either :P
You are aware a large chunk of the RAM Vista uses is for cache right? If you run a RAM hungry app and then close it, you'll see Vista drastically reduces it's own memory usage.

I'd prefer my RAM to actually always be in use for something rather than sitting empty...

No offense to you or anything, but why do you bash Vista so much?
Old July 5, 2008, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
You are aware a large chunk of the RAM Vista uses is for cache right? If you run a RAM hungry app and then close it, you'll see Vista drastically reduces it's own memory usage.

I'd prefer my RAM to actually always be in use for something rather than sitting empty...

No offense to you or anything, but why do you bash Vista so much?
My point I was getting at was that whether you use 32bit or 64bit OS you won't have 4gb after everything is subtracted.

If you wish to have an OS HAVE 4gb then run a 64bit OS with 6gb of memory.

I'm not going to get into my reasons of why I don't like Vista.
Old July 6, 2008, 03:12 AM
Allstar
F@H

There's not alot of real 64bit programs out there.
This is what you get when you run a 64bit program in WindowsXP

same goes for Vista-32.

Getting Vista-64 is more of a future-proof decision.
Old July 6, 2008, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Bit the bullet

I have been reading on forums about absolute horror stories about this operating system. People removing hardware such as memory or drives and one issue after another. I have been using xp pro 32bit for 4 years and got used to the way it operates so i wasnt much for change. I built my system (htpc) about 3 months ago and needed a system that could handle video editing,rendering and web design as well as play games, acces my 2 tb of media and run office programs all from my comfy chair. Well I loaded my defaults went back and set up bios for 64x and put the disc in. Unbelievable it was fully loaded and updated including the main software that i use in an amazing 45 min including the format. All essential drivers were already loaded and no errors, no crashes and no conflicts including the media center that picked up and loaded the drivers for my tvcard and it was ready to use. It was so easy that i spent more time trying to find errors but i couldnt. The fun began after that, the options and setting as well as some of the new toys have given me a different opinion of this operating system.

Old July 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

People who bash Vista are fools. Why?

Because these people are usually running ancient hardware and then complaining how slow Vista runs. If you want to run new-generation software, then be prepared to invest in new-generation hardware. The two go hand in hand.

I saw a video on YouTube a while ago about some fool complaining. The bastard was running a crappy single core S939 Athlon64 3200. He had 512MB of DDR400 and GeForce 6600GT or some other weak thing. Oh, and an 80GB IDE HD.

For Vista you need a dual-core processor, no less than 2GB of RAM, a midrange video card, a dedicated system HD and you will be fine!

I am happily running Vista Business 64-bit on my main machine without ANY of the hardware or software issues which whiners are complaining about.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old July 7, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post

Because these people are usually running ancient hardware and then complaining how slow Vista runs. If you want to run new-generation software, then be prepared to invest in new-generation hardware. The two go hand in hand.

I saw a video on YouTube a while ago about some fool complaining. The bastard was running a crappy single core S939 Athlon64 3200. He had 512MB of DDR400 and GeForce 6600GT or some other weak thing. Oh, and an 80GB IDE HD.

For Vista you need a dual-core processor, no less than 2GB of RAM, a midrange video card, a dedicated system HD and you will be fine!

I am happily running Vista Business 64-bit on my main machine without ANY of the hardware or software issues which whiners are complaining about.
Wrong! I don't like Vista cause of Vista.
Old July 7, 2008, 11:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I have been using Vista 64 since it came out and now it has become my #1 OS. It just kills me wasting mem on my 32bit versions of XP and the issues are pretty much gone.
Old July 7, 2008, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post

Who are you to say I have crappy hardware?!? I don't want MEII (whoops I mean Vista) because it is full of so many inherent flaws and is a significantly impaired and crippled OS. Why is MS trying to quickly bring out another OS if Vista is sooo goood. I have XP 64 and love it and have top end hardware on an OS that screams without bloatware eyecandy. Do some open minded research and you will note most serious gamers use XP because it is faster.
Old July 7, 2008, 09:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
Who are you to say I have crappy hardware?!? I don't want MEII (whoops I mean Vista) because it is full of so many inherent flaws and is a significantly impaired and crippled OS. Why is MS trying to quickly bring out another OS if Vista is sooo goood. I have XP 64 and love it and have top end hardware on an OS that screams without bloatware eyecandy. Do some open minded research and you will note most serious gamers use XP because it is faster.
Who says Windows 7 is coming anytime soon? From what I've seen, Windows 7 is being built off Vista and now that Bill Gates is gone, Windows 7 might be even worse. Who knows.

Vista and XP are pretty close performance wise now. Only in the beginning was there a large gap.

I'm going to assume you've actually used Vista for a lengthy period of time and that you've honestly tried to use it and that you've tried "tweaking" it (such as disabling UAC). If you haven't, then don't bash Vista basing it on what other people say.
Old July 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldeagle View Post
I don't know what you classify as a "Serious" Gamer, I've gone through all the transitions from Windows 95 to Windows 98, to Windows 2000, to Windows XP and now to Vista and guess what? I can't tell the difference between playing a video game on Windows XP and on Windows Vista.

So please explain in more detail how Windows XP makes people more SERIOUS gamers please.