Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question My IS/AV dilemma.

I'm sick and tired of Trend Micro's IS 2008 suite. I like the layout and everything, but sometimes it blocks programs that don't need to be, or it will pop up when I'm playing a game and cause it to minimize (like during a CAL match or something).

What I'm trying to figure out is if I even need IS. I would love to not deal with anything, but surfing/downloading on the internet with no AV is like not using a condom for sex. You NEVER know, no matter what you think.

Can any of you recommend an ideas? Should I just buy an antivirus program, then run Spybot once every 2 weeks or so? Firewalls tick me off so much and they take up a lot of resources. If you happen to suggest an idea, could you give me the name of AV that you recommend? Of course there is already a post of your faves, but I think a more up to date one would be good!

Thanks!
Old July 3, 2008, 11:52 AM
Allstar

If you have a router or hardware firewall, I would say the Windows firewall would be adequate.

For anti-viruses, I recommend Kaspersky or NOD32. Both are excellent anti-viruses and neither take up a lot of resources (NOD32 is more efficient than Kaspersky, however).

Right now, Futureshop has Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7 on for $30 and TDDirect.ca has NOD32 for $27.50 + shipping.

Buy NOD32 Antivirus Ver 3.0 1 Year Subscription OEM English Edition Antivirus Antiroot Kit
Future Shop: Software: Utilities: Kaspersky Antivirus Version 7.0
Old July 3, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am a total noob when it comes to networking technology, but what kind of security does a router give you. I currently have a static IP and have allowed certain ports to be used, but other than that, I haven't really done anything. I currently have a DI-604 router. If I get the Linksys WRT54GL, would the be a safer bet, as well as functionality?

I think I may get NOD32 as well...keep those suggestions coming!
Old July 3, 2008, 01:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Switch to ClamAV and then send an actual written letter to Trend telling them you switched. (link)

If you practice safe sex... err... surfing you have little to worry about in terms of viruses. I use AVG and I am behind a Linksys residential gateway. This is fine for anyone who has more than half a clue.

Buying software is for consumers. There are plenty of good free alternatives. ClamAV or AVG will do the job.

Software firewalls are basically crap. They are known to have significant flaws and are a real PITA.

There is nothing wrong with testing on bi-weekly basis. You will want to test if you find yourself in a "WTF did I just click on" moment. Also, you need to make sure you do the tests. It would be a shame to find a real problem and realise you have been "meaning to get to that" for six months.
Old July 3, 2008, 01:50 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
I am a total noob when it comes to networking technology, but what kind of security does a router give you. I currently have a static IP and have allowed certain ports to be used, but other than that, I haven't really done anything. I currently have a DI-604 router. If I get the Linksys WRT54GL, would the be a safer bet, as well as functionality?

I think I may get NOD32 as well...keep those suggestions coming!
A router acts as a hardware firewall (it's not technically a true hardware firewall, but it's close enough that I still use that term). They're generally less of a pain in the butt than software firewalls and generally don't sacrifice performance.
Old July 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok awesome. What router would you recommend that's decent for a good price? I like the WRT54GL because I will be getting an iPhone/Touch to use when I head to bed, and I also can't wire a couple computers because of the walls. Any other recommendations? The DI-604 is complete crap cannot store very many permissions...I bought it when I was a noob because it was easy to set up (plug in and go lol).
Old July 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
Allstar

The WRT54GL is getting a little long in tooth, IMO. It's still an okay router, but there are far superior units now available on the market (albeit for more money).

I really like the D-Link DIR-655 (~$110)/DIR-625 (~$80) ... I use the DIR-655 at work and it's one of the best routers I've ever used. Very stable, fast, tons of control. The UI is okay, but could use some improvement and it needs to be rebooted after changing some settings which probably shouldn't require a reboot, but outside of that, it's great.

I just replaced my WRT54GL w/ an Apple Airport Extreme and, while it's definitely faster and more stable, Apple's software and lack of features has pissed me off to the point where I am seriously considering getting the DIR-655. I wanted to get a dual band for future compatibility, but with a lack of options (The obsolete and Draft N v1.0 WRT600N, the poorly-reviewed WRT610N, the Airport Extreme, and the not available in Canada DIR-855), I think I'm just going to exchange it for the DIR-655, then upgrade when/if compatibility becomes an issue.