Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2008, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Default Several bsod .. I blame my PSU

It's started recently.Just after i purchased a new LCD screen at directcanada.

My cpu idle realy hot since than.I had also several bsod. Be it My sound card , my video or my USB port(used window debugger and mini dump.

Also another problem started to appear which make me believe it's my PSu..

My PSU is 480 watts and my video card is bfg 8800 gt OC 2(recommanded 420 watts) but i had no problem until i purchase that lcd screen.it's no joke.

Other problem occured. My usb keyboard not detected . I had to replug it to be detected.I tried every other port . No difference.Always the keyboard while my mouse and my headset was detected .. So i plugged it into the ps2 port and my keyboard always detected.My f-Lock was always working .. But other were not working .. Weird .. it's like my keyboard was half working

Here's the voltage (using smart fan)
(only my mouse and my headset plugged , keyboard on ps2)

Vcore1 1,25
+3.3 Volt 3,30
+5 volt 5,54
+12 volt 12,35

+12 volt -9,07
-5 volt -8,78
+5 volt 4,84
vbat 3,17

I'm not an expert but i find the negative volt a bit weirdo.
Now before i go and change my Psu (My psu is 6 month old like my computer) i want to know from someone who know more than me about this .

My cpu is also kinda hot since than .. Now idling at 47 celcius . I know for sure that a bad psu can make thing hot inside.Temp also drop when i open my case .. enough to make a huge difference while playing game and my cpu stress.

My heatsink is clean and my fan spin well .
Old June 11, 2008, 02:39 AM
Rookie

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/smartfan.jpg

well that pic will be more precise
Old June 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
Rookie

All this started when you connected to an LCD? If you still have your old monitor, try hooking it back up and see what the results are. As for the PSU, the only thing you can really try is purchasing a new one, if it doesn’t solve anything you should be able to return it. You definitely have some weird issues going there.
AMD64 6400+ x2 AM2 3.2GHz | ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe | BFG 8800GTS G92 SLI | Corsair 2x2GB XMS2 800 4-4-4-12-2T | X-Fi XGamer | PCP&C 610watt SLI Silencer | 320GB WD OS/500 GB WD Storage | Vista Business x86 SP1
Old June 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

That negative number is not important as its for older legacy stuff.

I'm gonna say you PSU is simply not cutting it for the demand your putting onto it with that 8800GT
Old June 17, 2008, 12:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yep it looks like its your PSU i guess. Or also it can be because of faulty ram also you never know.