Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2008, 08:46 AM
Rookie

Default xp repair not a option

I have a problem I like to see if I can get a answer to

I been trying to do a repair of xp as a option on xp window cd--- but it not there- it give me no option at all for repair like it use to

I try my old xp cd before sp1 and my new xp cd sp2-- both do not give me the option--but I have use it before, but now can not get it

window boot up normal and it work-- only problem I get is on boot up I get a blue screen tell me " Autocheck program not found "

I try recover console and use Bootcfg /scan, and it told me there one windows installed

but here where the fun begin;; when I try a repair from XP window CD, I get " setup cannot find a previous ver of window installed on your computer"
and ask for a older ver of window to see if I qualify for installed- and I pop in my old ver of windows 98se, and I get this "this disk does not contain a windows xp compatible partition

any one got any idea
Old June 6, 2008, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

if you can't get the option to repair windows xp its because the version of xp on your hdd does not match the version you have on cd.
Old June 6, 2008, 09:12 AM
Rookie

Default tryed 2 differnt xp cd

but i tryed 2 differnt xp cd

old one xp before sp1
new one xp sp2

both do not give me the option
Old June 6, 2008, 11:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer View Post
window boot up normal and it work-- only problem I get is on boot up I get a blue screen tell me " Autocheck program not found "
I am a little confused by this. Do you mean you can boot the Windows installer from CD works or do you mean you can boot Windows from the hard drive and the computer works? If the computer boots, what are you trying to fix.

It kind of sounds, and this is a guess, like you may have some filesystem corruption or bad drive sectors that prevent the XP installer disc from detecting the existing partition

You could try this. Since there are warnings all over that page so I guess it is kind of dangerous and I should say you should proceed with caution.
Old June 6, 2008, 11:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
if you can't get the option to repair windows xp its because the version of xp on your hdd does not match the version you have on cd.
I just booted a PC that has XP SP2 installed on it from my original full retail (no SP at all) disc and I can get the "To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R" choice. Maybe there are other limitations like OEM vs Retail?
Old June 6, 2008, 11:50 AM
Rookie

can boot Windows from the hard drive and the computer works- other then the autocheck error
Old June 6, 2008, 12:01 PM
Rookie

Default real deal cd

both of my xp cd come from microsoft

one is a xp home ed ver 2002 upgrade ver
other is xp home ed ver 2004 with sp2 full ver
Old June 6, 2008, 12:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you Google "Autocheck program not found" you will see this mean a particular file (autocheck.exe, surprise!) is corrupted. There is a MS KB article (913502) on how to fix it by copying the file from the install CD. Doing a repair install would be overkill if that is the only problem.

That said, corrupted files are bad. They just do not happen very often on systems that are in good working order, especially on system EXEs as opposed to data files. I suggest you invest in a good backup system very soon (but I do suggest that to anyone who does not have one). If the drive is off warranty I would just replace it and reinstall the system. If that is not an option then do some research on the freeware that is available for checking and maintaining drives. This drive may be usable for a while (even a long while) but I would not depend on it.

I also booted a PC from a Windows XP in tall CD that only had an unpartitioned drive in it. The installer did not give me the option to repair the installation. I have no idea how the installer decides if there is something on the disks that it thinks it can repair. There has got to be a bunch of different ways they could do that. Maybe it looks for autocheck.exe.

Next test... I booted a computer with Windows XP Pro installed from and full retail XP home CD and did not get the repair option. Does this computer have Pro or Home on it? Did you install it from the discs you are trying to use to repair it?
Old June 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Default i tryed both my xp cd

i tryed boot from both my xp cd

o yes ther are all home v er

option for repair is on either one of them-- it seem like my CDs do not think i have a window installed in the first place ((when I try a repair from XP window CD, I get " setup cannot find a previous ver of window installed on your computer"
and ask for a older ver of window to see if I qualify for installed- and I pop in my old ver of windows 98se, and I get this "this disk does not contain a windows xp compatible partition))
Old June 6, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

the other thing is... your windows install could be broken.