Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

Default How do I manually disable DirectDraw?

My laptop has Intel Mobile 965 Express Chipset with 3100 GMA graphic card.

Apparently this graphic driver does not allow users to disable DirectDraw (neither through dxdiag nor advanced display setting), but I need to disable it!! Does anyone know any other way to bypass this and disable DirectDraw?

I've searched through the Internet and there was a person who used Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit to execute ForceDirectDrawEmulation, but did not say how exactly it was done. Anyone has an idea for this too?
Old June 4, 2008, 05:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

ACT works like those profile systems you get with some gaming mice. The ones that make settings changes when certain programs (games) are running; like changing the mouse DPI. The difference is that ACT makes changes to windows settings.

Download and install it and you will see a big list of programs and fixes. If you are trying to play a game you may find it already in the list. If you are troubleshooting something else you may have to make your own entry for your executable.

This is not designed to be used by end users; it is for developers and testers. I would not install this on a normal computer. The documentation is almost non-existant, although the dev community looks thriving, and I suspect you could break things with this.

Have you tried the EmulationOnly registry settings?

DirectDraw and Direct3D Settings at Registry Guide for Windows

Last edited by Jack Rabbit; June 4, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old June 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

Does EmulationOnly work with Windows Vista Business?

The website only mentioned that it works for 95 to XP, but did not mention about Vista.

Last edited by mrlie3; June 4, 2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old June 4, 2008, 04:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sorry, I just do not know.
Old June 4, 2008, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a feeling you're not going to be able to disable it in Vista because doesn't the whole UI rely on it?