Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2017, 06:38 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,342

My System Specs

Question Steam Link, for light bedroom gaming

Find myself looking at the link, wife has been working graveyards shifts so solo sleeping after 25 years suxz.
The link looks like it might fill my needs, play some steam games when I can not sleep. House is longsince wired network so the wireless issue isnt a issue, TV has Plex, Netflix,ect installed so I dont need a streaming box.
Anyone have one and thoughts?
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old February 16, 2017, 07:12 PM
FreeKnight's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,385

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Find myself looking at the link, wife has been working graveyards shifts so solo sleeping after 25 years suxz.
The link looks like it might fill my needs, play some steam games when I can not sleep. House is longsince wired network so the wireless issue isnt a issue, TV has Plex, Netflix,ect installed so I dont need a streaming box.
Anyone have one and thoughts?
Yep, I've got one. For gaming it's pretty solid on wired network. Interface is simple enough, though I keep a logitech k400 connected to it so I can use it to control the desktop.

The biggest gripe I'm finding is that using a controller to play non-steam games has issues. Steam has the gamepad emulate mouse functions. When you start a gamepad configured game via steam, it disables that and it functions purely as a gamepad which works great for pretty much anygame that's come out since the 360/PS3 generation.

If you're trying to play a non-steam game, even if you've added it via shortcut to Steam, it doesn't disable the mouse emulation. I noticed this when trying to play Legend of Heroes from GOG via Steamlink. It doesn't totally break it, but it doesn't play nearly as smoothly as pure gamepad and there's control issues.

If your PC is just a wall over you can probably get by with having the gamepad connected to the tower itself.

One tip I'd give is if your main display isn't 1080 (and your TV presumably is), download 'Hotkey Resolution Changer' that way if you want to stream your main desktop outside of Steam's 'Big Picture Mode' you can quickly change the PC resolution to 1080 with a couple keystrokes. Otherwise it will look a bit goofy.

I'm pretty happy with mine overall, it generally performed way better than my wireless HDMI Iogear kit.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old February 18, 2017, 02:36 PM
vulcan500rider's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 530

My System Specs

Default

I've got one for my downstairs projector. I've only had it a couple of months and haven't used it a ton, but it's worked quite well. It doesn't add extra ping for shooters that I've noticed, and everything I've tried seems to stream quite nicely. I like that it adds easy access to my desktop, as well. The only thing on my wishlist for it is 5.1 sound, and apparently that's already in the beta client--which I could download and install, if I was really that concerned about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old February 21, 2017, 11:49 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,342

My System Specs

Default

Thanks guys, just the confirmation I was looking for, going to pick one up next order from Amazon. One other ?
How is the weight of the controller? I have a ton of wireless controllers that I have pickedup over the years and hate the added weight, a 360 wired is still my goto for controller gaming.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old February 22, 2017, 04:10 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 167

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Thanks guys, just the confirmation I was looking for, going to pick one up next order from Amazon. One other ?
How is the weight of the controller? I have a ton of wireless controllers that I have pickedup over the years and hate the added weight, a 360 wired is still my goto for controller gaming.
I've been happy with mine as well and use exactly for what you're going to... As for the controller, I would say it's on the lighter end. Not sure if if that's because of the lack of dual joysticks or just cheaper plastic. The controller doesn't feel as sturdy as a 360 controller in my opinion but it's a trade off as the track pad is pretty cool in my opinion...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old February 25, 2017, 05:36 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,342

My System Specs

Default

Well bought the Link and controller combo, not to sure on the controller but WTH, if I cant stand the feel it will go in the abandoned controller box. Should be here Tuesday so let ppl know my thoughts.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old March 7, 2017, 09:32 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,342

My System Specs

Default

Well so far so good, link works as intended to a degree, most games work without a hitch but some need to be in windowed mode so no SLI/Xfire. Using wired connection so lag isnt a issue, one annoying thing is having to switch res due to the 1080 limit. Makes it a PITA if you go back and forth to your PC gaming.
Controller at first feel is cheapish feeling not the build of say a 360. Button placement at first is weird, I hated it the first few hours. After using it and the software I have to say simply brilliant device, sure it feels cobbled together but it is a step in the right direction IMO. That said it isnt going to be a item that you plug and play 90% of games will require you to do a button setup. But boy do you have options, thing will do everything I have thrown at it config wise. The feedback on the Track pads feels quite strange at first but once used to it makes perfect sense and is subtle.

Is it perfect, no far from it but again feels like a hella step forward over any consoles offerings, heh I even busted out my old Wireless wingman ( My old school fav controller ) out against it for some dirt racing and quickly went back.
IDK how it would feel if you have small hands thought, some of the button placements make for a larger feeling controller. Mind you way smaller than the wingman.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2017, 04:15 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 167

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Using wired connection so lag isnt a issue, one annoying thing is having to switch res due to the 1080 limit. Makes it a PITA if you go back and forth to your PC gaming.
Does your system not change back to it's original resolution when you close steam big picture from the steam link ? I'll have to test that out but I'm pretty sure if I:

- Launch my p.c
- Launch steam big picture
- open steam link and connect to p.c resolution switches to 1080p
- disconnect steam link from p.c resolution switches back to native mode (1440p) on p.c

What you're saying is that the last step your p.c remains on 1080p ?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old March 8, 2017, 07:30 AM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,342

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilly View Post
Does your system not change back to it's original resolution when you close steam big picture from the steam link ? I'll have to test that out but I'm pretty sure if I:

- Launch my p.c
- Launch steam big picture
- open steam link and connect to p.c resolution switches to 1080p
- disconnect steam link from p.c resolution switches back to native mode (1440p) on p.c

What you're saying is that the last step your p.c remains on 1080p ?
Heh typing to fast, meaning in game. If I am gaming on my PC then move to the link, I have to go in game and switch the res. Once back at my PC in game I again have to switch to my Monitor native res.
The desktop via steamlink switches fine, minus the stretch due to TV's 16:9 and my monitors 16:10, but that is just oblong circles on my wallpaper rather than a circle.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old March 9, 2017, 04:21 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 167

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Heh typing to fast, meaning in game. If I am gaming on my PC then move to the link, I have to go in game and switch the res. Once back at my PC in game I again have to switch to my Monitor native res.
The desktop via steamlink switches fine, minus the stretch due to TV's 16:9 and my monitors 16:10, but that is just oblong circles on my wallpaper rather than a circle.
Oh ok, I don't usually use the link in that way. I always either game from p.c or link I never transition from one console to the either while staying in game play....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HWC Steam Link review? On2wheels Reviews & Articles from the Web 2 November 23, 2016 06:40 AM
[FS] [SOLD] Steam Link and Steam Controller Lsv Buy/Sell & Trade 2 July 17, 2016 10:11 AM
Steam Green Light muse108dc Gaming 4 July 12, 2012 12:33 PM
[WTB] GPU for light gaming kanadien Buy/Sell & Trade 2 March 29, 2011 10:08 AM