Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 26, 2016, 08:15 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,737

My System Specs

Default How to Install Windows 7 on USB 3.0 Computer?

How in the world do I install Windows 7 on a computer with USB 3.0 ports? Specifically the Acer computer linked below. I spent the whole afternoon trying various things and I still can't get it working properly. I've followed various guides and none of that work. I even went as far as using the internal DVD drive and while it finally installed, Windows 7 won't recognize any USBs because they don't have the USB 3.0 drivers installed. I've tried using the USB 2.0 ports as well but still no go.

The error message I get during the Windows 7 installation process is "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing."

On a side note, what should I slipstream into my Windows 7 ISO so I can get the installation completed faster? I've never tried slip streaming anything and I am beyond frustrated right now.

I tried following this guide and the many similar to it.

Acer ATC-710-EB51
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 26, 2016, 08:41 PM
MARSTG's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,631

My System Specs

Default

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/create-a...-install-disc/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 01:54 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,737

My System Specs

Default

Anyone else have any suggestions? The last thing I want to do is be force dto use Windows 10 on a PC that supports Windows 7..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
Great link! Going to give that a try! Going to try and integrate USB 3.0 drivers as well...
__________________

Last edited by geokilla; December 27, 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 02:10 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 3,246

My System Specs

Default

if you can get in to windows and the USB slots arnt working its 100% drivers (or dead ports, I guess...) and not a result of win7/win10.

If it wont install windows off USB3 or 2 ports, I dont know why that would be. I'm literally doing this right now on my friends Acer Aspire V through its USB ports.

Regardless, once you do get windows on the PC check the Acer site for that model, but before you install any USB drivers install chipset drivers first.
__________________
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 02:44 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,737

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
if you can get in to windows and the USB slots arnt working its 100% drivers (or dead ports, I guess...) and not a result of win7/win10.

If it wont install windows off USB3 or 2 ports, I dont know why that would be. I'm literally doing this right now on my friends Acer Aspire V through its USB ports.

Regardless, once you do get windows on the PC check the Acer site for that model, but before you install any USB drivers install chipset drivers first.
The mouse and keyboard works fine so the ports aren't dead.

Did you have to do anything special to get the install working through USB ports? Or did you just create the bootable USB and then plug it in?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 03:44 PM
Sagath's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 3,246

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
The mouse and keyboard works fine so the ports aren't dead.

Did you have to do anything special to get the install working through USB ports? Or did you just create the bootable USB and then plug it in?
I use Rufus USB Boot creator. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ I assume you have an ISO or the like.

You're remembering to switch the boot order to the USB first, I assume?
__________________
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 03:48 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,737

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I use Rufus USB Boot creator. https://rufus.akeo.ie/ I assume you have an ISO or the like.

You're remembering to switch the boot order to the USB first, I assume?
Yes. Everything is good and then it stops at right here:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

I'm emulating a PS/2 for the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS. It's the only way to get the mouse and keyboard working when I try to install Windows. Otherwise the mouse and keyboard would be unresponsive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 05:34 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,890
Default

Your PC is a Skylake system in which you may have limited to no support.

Looking at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/conten...oduct/6393?b=1 there is no Windows 7 drivers so YMMV and most likely will need to run 10
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 05:58 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,482

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Yes. Everything is good and then it stops at right here:

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...t_to_webp=true

I'm emulating a PS/2 for the mouse and keyboard in the BIOS. It's the only way to get the mouse and keyboard working when I try to install Windows. Otherwise the mouse and keyboard would be unresponsive.
That error is coming up not because of USB drivers but storage drivers. That is why you can get that far, but just can't find a drive to install on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Your PC is a Skylake system in which you may have limited to no support.

Looking at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/conten...oduct/6393?b=1 there is no Windows 7 drivers so YMMV and most likely will need to run 10
Yea, looks like the best option would be to try to install the windows 10 drivers and hope for the best. Otherwise you should see if you can find out which actual USB 3.0 controller is on that board and then look for a driver for that controller specifically, same with the storage for installing.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old December 27, 2016, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,601

My System Specs

Default

You can't install Windows on usb 3. Only usb 2 works. Windows is seeing usb3 like a raid card but even though you have the drivers it wont ever work. Usb 2 should work though.
I have tried installing windows on several pcs via usb3 and I always get the same problem you described at the beginning of your post.

I also only use usb2 thumb drives too.
__________________
__________________________________________________ __________
"Lesson's cost money... good ones costs lots" -Tony Beets (gold rush)
__________________________________________________ __________
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer keeps shutting down on me before I can install windows AFG34 Troubleshooting 18 March 11, 2015 07:20 AM
Updated bios, now can't boot computer to my windows install Jesb Troubleshooting 9 October 16, 2013 09:55 AM
New windows 8 tell MS everything you install Shadowmeph Press Releases & Tech News 44 August 29, 2012 09:57 AM
Can't get windows to install AmuseMe Troubleshooting 29 September 12, 2009 01:20 PM
Formatting. Install Windows XP or Windows 7 geokilla O/S's, Drivers & General Software 29 July 7, 2009 02:32 PM