Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Default Half of American Business PCs Can't Run Vista

About half of the average business PCs in North America are unable to meet the minimum requirements for Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system, while 94 percent do not meet the system requirements for Vista Premium.

Within these figures, 41 percent and 78 percent, respectively, require RAM upgrades to meet the minimum and premium system requirements of Vista, says a new study by Softchoice Corp., which is expected to be released later this week.

In comparison, when Windows XP was released, some 71 percent of the PCs met its system requirements, Softchoice services consultant Dean Williams said in an executive summary of the report.

Check out the rest of the article at eWeek.com
Old December 8, 2006, 05:01 PM
Misoprostol

I believe this. I can't believe how surprising this is to everyone. I think most businesses are just going to skip Vista. Many have never even migrated to Windows XP. We've gotten to the point where a 5 year old computer can do everything most people want to use their PCs for, and it's going to get harder and harder to sell OS upgrades and even hardware upgrades to people. Most people will never fill a 40GB hard drive, and the lowest configuration you can even buy in a desktop these days is 80GB. anyone who stores office docs and MP3s on their system is not going to care about upgrading to a 1TB hard drive in the near future...

Most people aren't even going to care that their PC can't run Vista because they already know how to use Windows XP and they don't want to learn something new.
Old December 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

This is another Windows ME fiasco except for the fact as stated too many people won't want to bother to upgrade their machine to run Vista.

I mean you'll need a 25gb hdd alone just to install Vista and who knows what else.

Unfortunately for anyone who wants DX10 you need Vista :(
Old December 14, 2006, 01:30 AM
Misoprostol

DX10 is the only way they're going to get people to take the plunge, I think.
Old December 15, 2006, 10:19 PM
Top Prospect

My copy of Vista Ultimate is on the way, we'll see when it actually gets some used (probably not until SP1)