Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
Rookie

Default No boot after Windows update.

Hi all. Before I throw my computer out the window I thought I'd see if there was anyone who knows of a fix for this.

I built this system a few months ago and everything has been running fine since. This all started after an optional windows update of my NVIDIA Sata drivers. This was done 12 May 2008. Update finished, system rebooted fine and ran for hours, no problems. I went to be, leaving it running, in the morning I had a blank screen. Tried to reboot and...

The issue:

Vista will simply not boot. In safe mode it halts loading on crcdisk.sys
I was running raid 0+1 and thought it might be the raid controller. So I have since ended up deleting and rebuilding the array, with no change...
When attempting to boot from the CD it stops after "windows is loading files..."

What I've tried so far:

I've googled far and wide and found many ref to crcdisk.sys and similar problems with many suggestions, none of which have helped.
I've connected an IDE CD drive and tried the windows cd in there, no luck.
I've connected a working IDE drive with XP installed and attempted a boot from that with no success.
I've disabled raid and tried a single HDD.
I've removed one of my graphics card, 3 of my memory, and my soundcard.
I've disabled everything from usb to firewire to raid support in the BIOS.
I've reset the CMOS.
I'm about to start sacrificing goats...

I don't care about the data on the array (it's already lost since I've deleted and rebuild the array) so if anyone can think of a way to get a fresh intall working...

System specs:
EVGA 780i mobo
Intel Q6600 (no overclock)
Kingston HyperX (4x1Gig) All but one stick now removed
EVGA 8800GTS 640 x2 (now just running 1)
Razor Barracuda AC-1 (removed)
PC Power $ Cooling silencer 750W
4x Wester Digital Caviar 500G Sata
Old May 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yuck! Do you have a sata DVD player in there too? there are some issues with the older mobo drivers and sata dvds- if you do have one- try unplugging it and booting.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

You mean like this;
YouTube - Smash My Computer
Seems to have work out well for him!
Old May 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well you've tried both SATA and IDE drives and booting off a CD too, resting the CMOS, sounds like you've covered all the bases. I hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a hardware problem, I hope I'm wrong. Try stripping all unnecessary hardware and see if you can get it to boot. Past that start swapping hardware, I'd be inclined to think it's the mobo....

Have you tried swearing at it?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old May 14, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

you probably allowed windows update to update itself and it probably downloaded drivers which borked your hardware.

lesson to be learnt? Never let windows update do its own thing.

Do a system restore a day before the updates and you should be fine.
Old May 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Do a system restore a day before the updates and you should be fine.
Just in case you missed it... he can't boot to get to the point to do a system restore. He can't boot off anything, not even a CD or other known good HDDs.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old May 14, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Just in case you missed it... he can't boot to get to the point to do a system restore. He can't boot off anything, not even a CD or other known good HDDs.
780i bit the dust already? :P
Old May 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Other than that, itís a really good idea thou.

maybe the windows update was just a co-incidence.
Does kinda sounds like a MB problem, something with the drive controllers, they are both on the 780i chip,
otherwise, everything else seems to work.
If you can get to the bios, you got cpu, memory, power, video, just no drive device IO.
Boot from a floppy? Thatís not part of the 780, is it? (not thatíll help much, stillÖ..)
try memtest86, its self contained.

Old May 19, 2008, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Ok guys/gals. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Here's where I'm at now.

This can't be OS/Driver related as I can't even get a fresh install to take after a partition delete/format.

I've systematically eliminated all hardware except Mobo either by swapping or by removing.

I've updated the bios to the P04.

I figure at this point the Mobo is screwed. The only Q is, could it be some kind of firmware kept somewhere on the board that has been corrupted. And is there any way to fix it without a working OS? Or is it simply something on the board that has died?

Oh yeah, and if I didn't say before. The HDD all show up on the POST screen and in the BIOS. But when I boot with UBCD4WIN (the only "OS" that will boot at all) It doesn't see an HDD or the other DVD drive. How's that from weird...

It's just so strange that the mobo would die within hours of a driver update. But how can it be driver related if a fresh install won't even take on a formated HDD??

I await your thoughts. If I haven't figured it out be mid week I guess I'll RMA the board. Anybody dealt with RMA's to EVGA before?
Old May 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot_dc View Post
Ok guys/gals. Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Here's where I'm at now.

This can't be OS/Driver related as I can't even get a fresh install to take after a partition delete/format.

I've systematically eliminated all hardware except Mobo either by swapping or by removing.

I've updated the bios to the P04.

I figure at this point the Mobo is screwed. The only Q is, could it be some kind of firmware kept somewhere on the board that has been corrupted. And is there any way to fix it without a working OS? Or is it simply something on the board that has died?

Oh yeah, and if I didn't say before. The HDD all show up on the POST screen and in the BIOS. But when I boot with UBCD4WIN (the only "OS" that will boot at all) It doesn't see an HDD or the other DVD drive. How's that from weird...

It's just so strange that the mobo would die within hours of a driver update. But how can it be driver related if a fresh install won't even take on a formated HDD??

I await your thoughts. If I haven't figured it out be mid week I guess I'll RMA the board. Anybody dealt with RMA's to EVGA before?
Remember the horror stories of the 680i chipset when it first came out?

Sata controllers dying, data corruption on the sata channels etc etc etc.

Well your running a nvidia chipset that has only been on the market for a shortwhile and to be honest I'd not be surprised if your SATA channels are dead.