Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 07:06 PM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Van Isle, BC
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
People who think Vista is all that and a cup of tea are obviously people who don't care much about the OS and just use their computer email and internet.

People who actually use their computers and are productive with them realize how much of a piece of crap Vista is and hence why the adoption to it is so bad for. People want flexibility and ease of use with their computers and people who have been using computers for 15+ years don't feel that with Vista.

So to answer the OP .. yes your copy of Vista will be junk in a few years.. just like Windows ME..

Enjoy buying into the hype :)
Uh, I do lots of different stuff w/ my computer (loaded w/ Vista) and it works better than my "old" XP machine.

Gaming, graphic design, 3D modeling, CAD design, photo-editing, movie-editing, office work, etc.

I really don't see why you keep making it seem like any computer running Vista is incapable of doing anything.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 07:11 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 11,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Uh, I do lots of different stuff w/ my computer (loaded w/ Vista) and it works better than my "old" XP machine.

Gaming, graphic design, 3D modeling, CAD design, photo-editing, movie-editing, office work, etc.

I really don't see why you keep making it seem like any computer running Vista is incapable of doing anything.
Its that it takes less resources in XP to do the same thing in Vista.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 07:50 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,397

My System Specs

Default

I got $20 firebane hates 7 too.

Just poking a little fun @ you man, nothing personal, we all know how much you hate Vista.

Both have good points and bad but if I am gaming I'm usually in XP.

IMO 7 will be a better release than Vista for sure, then again it's MS
But I bet it's going to either use as much resources as Vista or more.
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 07:52 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 17,565

My System Specs

Default

No doubt in my mind it will use a lot more resources than Vista... it'll actually be doing something with them though..... :)
__________________
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC) / i7 8700K / 2X 8G XPG Spectrix D40 (3000) / XFX XTR 750 / ASUS Strix GTX 1070ti
AZZA Titan 240 / Custom WC / Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD / Intel 760p 512GB NVMe / Seagate Barracuda 1TB / ASUS SWIFT PG279Q

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 08:01 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 11,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I got $20 firebane hates 7 too.

Just poking a little fun @ you man, nothing personal, we all know how much you hate Vista.

Both have good points and bad but if I am gaming I'm usually in XP.

IMO 7 will be a better release than Vista for sure, then again it's MS
But I bet it's going to either use as much resources as Vista or more.
You know its not Vista itself I hate its the interface and how everything feels so clumsy and hidden and that bothers me.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old May 9, 2008, 10:18 PM
thenewguy001's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 844
Default

The only thing that really prevents me from buying vista right now is that you can only activate it on 1 PC (based on motherboard ID number). I've used this copy of XP for 3 mobos now and I don't like having to buy a new OS when I need to RMA my mobo or upgrade. That's just extortion. The other shortcomings of vista I can deal with.
__________________
i5 2500K @ 4.0 GHz
2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Patriot Pyro 240GB
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2008, 04:18 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON.
Posts: 504
Talking

I don't think anybody(outside of MS) can tell you when 7 will be released final.
Only the backroom players at MS know that and its still a ways off.
Most of this 7 hype stems from the anti Vista camps.
Vista isn't garbage at all.
I am an XP fan and run vista more.
Still like XP but like Vista to.
I don't have the sidebar on and all that but I still like it and use it.
Enjoy what you have to use and have fun.
__________________
Cambridge,ON
MSI Z77 M Power/Bios17.12
3770K@4.5ghz
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel SSD
Win 10 Pro x64




Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2008, 06:27 AM
b1lk1's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lindsay, Ontario
Posts: 2,768

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
The only thing that really prevents me from buying vista right now is that you can only activate it on 1 PC (based on motherboard ID number). I've used this copy of XP for 3 mobos now and I don't like having to buy a new OS when I need to RMA my mobo or upgrade. That's just extortion. The other shortcomings of vista I can deal with.
But this is not true. I have used the same copy of Vista and I am on my 5th completely different PC. I mean 80%+ of the parts too including CPU/MOBO/GFX and I ahve gone back and forth to AMD and Intel too.

As for using too many resources, if you compare the price of current parts compared to parts when XP was released you can build a super computer to run Vista whereas XP only had a $3000 P3/P4 or AMD Athlon with very limited upgrade ability.
__________________
DAILY: MSI 970 Gaming/FX6300/16GB Corsair DDR3/ASUS CU II R9 270 2GB/128GB SSD+750GB HDD+2TB HDD

HTPC: Dell 960 SFF Q9550/Corsair 8GB/X4500HD/128GB SSD

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old May 10, 2008, 07:42 AM
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cambridge, ON.
Posts: 504
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
But this is not true. I have used the same copy of Vista and I am on my 5th completely different PC. I mean 80%+ of the parts too including CPU/MOBO/GFX and I ahve gone back and forth to AMD and Intel too.

As for using too many resources, if you compare the price of current parts compared to parts when XP was released you can build a super computer to run Vista whereas XP only had a $3000 P3/P4 or AMD Athlon with very limited upgrade ability.
So true.
__________________
Cambridge,ON
MSI Z77 M Power/Bios17.12
3770K@4.5ghz
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel SSD
Win 10 Pro x64




Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes