Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2008, 12:32 PM
Allstar

Default Ubuntu 8.04 is Well Worth the Look

The latest Ubuntu release came out just two weeks ago, but that's old news by now. I have never been much of an Ubuntu fan, and the fact is, I disliked it... a lot. I still stand by the fact that I believe the distro was severely over hyped with the earlier versions, but the latest launch, "Hardy Heron" changes my thoughts quite a bit.
New Ubuntu versions come out often, but this one is different. It offers "Long-Term Support", so you can install it and not have to worry about support fading before three-years pass. From my previous experience with Feisty Fawn, however, Hardy Heron is far more polished and is putting Linux on the right track to mass adoption.
Booting up on the notebook, everything worked, from the graphics to WiFi to audio to Bluetooth to web cam and beyond. I couldn't find anything that didn't work. And that was before the installation! So to say I'm impressed would be an understatement. I use Gentoo on the desktop and have zero interest of using Ubuntu there given I prefer how that distro works, but for the notebook, it's absolutely perfect. The less work you need to do in the initial setup process, the better.
I am not a fan of GNOME, however, so I tested out both Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and ultimately stuck with the latter. It's hard to not notice the difference between the two, though. While hardware detection is the same, Kubuntu lacks the overall polish of Ubuntu, which is fine by me since I tend to configure things a lot anyway, but it's still too bad. There's not even a GRUB bootsplash like there is for Ubuntu, which is beyond strange given how simple it is to add.
But that aside, I'm pleased so far with Kubuntu and have no real complaints. It lacks certain things that I like, but that's because I'm so used to my current setup. Ubuntu is catered towards new users and veterans alike, so it's design can't be faulted too much (although there are a few things I do find strange, but I'll tackle that later). Overall though, this is the first time I've ever recommended Ubuntu, so I'm off to go pinch myself.

More...
Old May 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just installed Xubuntu 8.04, dual boot but running off windows partition. Man, is that slick! Burn .iso, run windows installer, uses 15Gb of your windows partition and can be uninstalled while running from windows. It uses the Windows boot menu, doesn't install Grub.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone wanting to give Linux a try but are leary of partitioning their drive.
Old May 5, 2008, 03:45 PM
Allstar

I've been checking out one form of Linux distro or so every year (give or take) and still waiting for it to be something I want to keep around. My last go round was with Slackware I believe and it didn't turn out to good. I can't quite remember what the issue was but I had to turf it. I then tried Ubuntu and it wouldn't even install for some strange reason. I think it may have been a bad burn. I'm going to try it again if I ever get my case in and get to build my computer.
Old May 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
Allstar

I might give this new distro a shot. I never was a big Linux fan (too much work for not enough gain, from my experience) but a lot of my other computer friends swear by it.

It would be nice to get a free OS that could compete w/ Windows in every regard (with improved malware resistance).
Old May 6, 2008, 11:21 AM
Allstar

I installed this last week and love it. I had previously tried Ubuntu 7.10 but didn't like it because it was hard to get the samba share working properly. They seem to have fixed this with 8.04 and file sharing with Windows is easy as pie now.
OCZ SOLID 3 SSD|Seagate 1.0TB
2 X EVGA GTX 460 in SLI
Old July 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
Allstar

I really like ubuntu 8.04, comes with every thing you need.
Very handy and much easier to use then windows in many cases.
Example, if you want to burn an ISO, just right click and choose write to cd ... that's it
Not for gamers however ...

Linux Mint is based on ubuntu and is very good with a great forum. Mint comes pre configured to play xvids, watch dvd's and play mp3's out of the box.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am more interrested in taking a crack at OpenSUSE 11.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:25 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I tried 3 iterations of ubuntu. all 3 installed like a breeze and worked beautifully. Then one of the updates broke it. All 3 of them had an update FUBAR the OS beyond repair. Haven't used it since. They need to fix the update process.
Old July 30, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

Ubuntu has become total crap since the start menu was done up to be like Vista.

It made me throw up a little to see Linux heading this way.
Old July 31, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've installed Ubuntu the feisty version just to play a lil' bit..with having nothing to do..but Im going back to windows because of the ati drivers and some other reasons..i'm sick of installing packages..wget, sudo n shit.. :/