Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2014, 03:51 PM
Rookie

Default PCI-Z, freeware tool for detecting unknown PCI(-E/-X) devices

Greetings to all,

I am the author of PCI-Z, freeware lightweight system utility designed to provide information about (unknown) PCI (PCI-E, PCI-X...) devices and helps you find appropriate device drivers.

PCI-Z is designed for detecting unknown hardware on your Windows based PC. It will help you determine vendor, device and certain details about device even if you don't have drivers installed. Software uses The PCI ID Repository, a public repository of all known ID's used in PCI devices: ID's of vendors, devices, subsystems and device classes. It is used in various programs (e.g. The PCI Utilities) to display full human-readable names instead of cryptic numeric codes.

You can find drivers for your operating system without a problem! Find drivers for your WiFi cards, audio cards, network cards or any other PCI peripheral.

So, basically, it pretty much resembles lspci on *nix, while providing both GUI and CLI.

The author of CPU-Z has granted me permission to use a name similar to his product. Thanks Franck!

So, to sum it up, software if 100% portable freeware without any malware/adware, site is also ad free and I hope you will enjoy and find this little tool useful.

PCI-Z detect unknown PCI devices

In addition, I hope I haven't missed the appropriate forum if there is such. Generally, I would much appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have!

With my best,

Bruno
Old April 21, 2014, 10:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This sounds like perfect tool for my portable admin kit. Even my current rig has a simplified pci communication device. High end gear sure hates working 100% lol thank you for such a handy app.
Old April 22, 2014, 01:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
This sounds like perfect tool for my portable admin kit. Even my current rig has a simplified pci communication device. High end gear sure hates working 100% lol thank you for such a handy app.
I am glad you like it; do take note that "PCI devices" have features of PCI(-like) bus in terms of protocol, command set and other characteristics, rather than simple physical connector. Thus, your PC will be having PCI devices for certain. :)
Old April 22, 2014, 03:44 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Good job. Allowed me to fix my PCIExpress Card reader unknown driver.
Old April 22, 2014, 04:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. I don't think I currently have a need for this, but I will try to keep it in mind if I ever run into an issue. You just posted here today and already have some positive feedback on it. Nice job!
Old April 22, 2014, 04:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Good job. Allowed me to fix my PCIExpress Card reader unknown driver.
Well, that is the basic idea - not something you will or would need to use every day, but once you should need it, it can save you some time to spend it on anything but searching for drivers of obscure hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Interesting. I don't think I currently have a need for this, but I will try to keep it in mind if I ever run into an issue. You just posted here today and already have some positive feedback on it. Nice job!
It would be a lie to say I am not proud when I hear positive feedback about the PCI-Z. Further more, version 1.3 wouldn't be here and it would probably stay as it was about half a year ago if it weren't for the feedbacks, comments, advices from the users, to whom PCI-Z is intended. It is not adware, there are no commercials on my site and I spent my time, effort and some money to have it where it is. So the sole satisfaction, apart from knowledge I have gathered and people I've met, is in positive experience from the users.

I would also like to thank admins/mods from HardwareCanucks to allow this post and not seeing it as unsolicited message or spam, since I have had multiple unpleasant experiences throughout the Internets. :)
Old April 22, 2014, 08:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You're welcome. It looked like a useful tool to me as we just had a thread trying to identify an unknown wireless adapter last week. This would have sorted it out in 3 minutes.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

A feature request. Since this identifys all these unknown devices I wonder if there is a way to put in a tracker datsbase for all the unknown devices it fixes.

Like some systems iv fixed had multiple unknowns say put in a feature that could log the devices its fixed for refrance or easyier driver finding.
Old April 22, 2014, 11:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
You're welcome. It looked like a useful tool to me as we just had a thread trying to identify an unknown wireless adapter last week. This would have sorted it out in 3 minutes.
That's the point of whole thing! ;) And yes, people mostly use it for WiFi's since there are numerous iterations, usually from different vendors, especially when dealing with laptops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
A feature request. Since this identifys all these unknown devices I wonder if there is a way to put in a tracker datsbase for all the unknown devices it fixes.

Like some systems iv fixed had multiple unknowns say put in a feature that could log the devices its fixed for refrance or easyier driver finding.
I don't quite follow you here. "Unknown" devices are refereed to those your device manager doesn't recognize since there are no drivers to do so. PCI-Z helps you find appropriate drivers since it provides "real" names.

If your device is not recognized in PCI-Z, that's when you should to the visual inspection (or some other way of finding out) of it and report your findings to The PCI ID repository, database that I am using.
Old April 23, 2014, 11:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thats kinda what im talking about basicly kinda like a bug tracker but ya cleared it up. This app is going in feild admin kit no idea how many older pcs iv come across that took a few hrs of Google searchs to track down problematic pci devices. Thanks for saving countless hours of extra behind scenes work lol.