Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2014, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Virus. Ukash. Did I get away from it?

Hey everyone. I just had a random page open up on my laptop that locked Chrome and all functions up and wanting money. Obviously I wasn't doing that. I went immediately to a hard power down. I then opened windows up in safe mode and ran a scan with MSE. It didn't find anything and all seemed to be working. I then looked into this and found screenshots of exactly what I had...apparently a bad one that is called ukash.

After this I tried to boot windows normally and it went in. Another scan with MSE and nothing. Just installed and running malwarebytes now.

Did I manage to get away from this virus with the shutdown, or is it burried in my computer? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Bond007; April 16, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old April 17, 2014, 05:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I use this to prevent infections. CryptoPrevent | Computer Technician - PC Repair Software |Foolish IT LLC Not sure if your ok or not.
Old April 17, 2014, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Update. Malwarebytes came back with no signs of this either. I think I was lucky and avoided infection...computer appears to be running normally.

Anyone else seens this virus?
Old April 17, 2014, 10:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I've seen some scareware before that locks up Windows for ransom but I have never heard of one locking up Chrome. Normally it's detectable by a virus scan.
Old April 17, 2014, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya there is allot of "Scare ware" out there they usually happen when you go to a website and in the older versions a screen would popup that looks like a desktop ( supposed to be your desktop) that says someing about your computer is infected click this and it will scan for virus's, or something like that.
Some people believe it and click on the link and get infected because the link they click on downloads a so called scanner that when it is installing actually installs a minor virus or three then after the scan it shows the virus's it actually installed and says look what the scanner found and if you pay so much it will remove the virus's.
there are several scams like that out there. usually if you have your web browser security updated and flash or what ever else you use updated this kind of thing won't happen.
What I did recently was installed shadow defender ( which I probably don't need at all) what I think it does is takes a snap shot of your system so that if you do get infected all you need to do is reboot your system and it goes back to the snap shot.
the down side of shadow defender is that you need to turn it off every time you update something then turn it on again afterwards.
Old April 18, 2014, 08:47 AM
Allstar

Sounds like it was just a spoof of the ukash virus thankfully. Otherwise it's a real pain in the ass to remove sometimes.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old April 18, 2014, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

MALWARE ALERT
Old April 18, 2014, 09:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Sounds like it was just a spoof of the ukash virus thankfully. Otherwise it's a real pain in the ass to remove sometimes.
Yeah I thought that as well, but it did lock my computer up...couldn't go from that tab in chrome, couldn't cntrl+alt+delete and couldn't go to the start menu...hence why I went for a hard power down.