Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7, 2014, 06:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Linux for Grandparents?

Hey all. I know many of you have been using linux for some time, but I have never run it. I have been starting to gather pieces to hopefully put a new computer together for my grandparents and am keeping costs low. Basically it will be a simple build running integrated graphics (depends what CPU I get if its AMD or Intel), a single HDD, optical drive, and that's about it (amd or intel cpu matter much for support at this point?). They only use their computer for internet, facebook (and games in facebook), and basic built in windows style games (solitaire, etc)...pretty low demands obviously.

My question is: Can I trust linux to run rock solid stable for them? I am about 6 hrs drive from them, so its not something I can easily help them with. It would have to be easy (ideally automatic) updates, and be easy to get used to coming from windows xp. Best suited distro?

Any advise/opinions?
Old April 7, 2014, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Rock solid? Yes.
Easy to Use? Only if you set it up that way and know what your grandparents will be doing 100% of the time and that you yourself know it well enough to help troubleshoot.
Updates? This is a tricky one. Sometimes they go ok othertimes not so well.
Old April 7, 2014, 07:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Whatever OS you decide, be it Windows or Linux, I'd recommend installing Team Viewer on their system. I can't count the number of times I've been thankful I've had that installed on say my parents or my brother's machine, especially when I was living 2 provinces over. Since Team Viewer is free for consumer use (charge for commercial), you can either have it running all the time in the background for them OR have them launch it if you need to troubleshoot the system. Team Viewer is a remote desktop application that lets you remote in and basically treat the computer like you are physically there at the keyboard, without having to open ports on a router or configure the system (as it does it for you).

If you're set on Distro, I would potentially say Ubuntu, since it's fairly straight forward and easy to use, I believe they have an auto-update, though I'm not 100% sure since I never test that feature. You could also throw them on Windows 7, but whatever you decide, install Team Viewer on their system, you won't be disappointed when something comes up and you're glad you have full remote access to their PC and DON'T have to drive 6 hours to help them out.