Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2014, 09:07 AM
Rookie

Default ORIGINAL windows 7 release and updating issues

Way back when windows 7 was launched I was sent a copy of Unlimited. It wasn't a pre-release per-say but certainly not the same one you go out and buy now, I wouldn't be surprised if slightly modified version of a OEM release but certainly not a production release.

Issues seem to arise when/after doing updates. Considering there is approximately 200+ from original release including a SP update Im not surprised.

Issues like network dependency failing, registry corruption, graphical anomalies, a slew of strange problems that appeared to be hardware related - but resolve after doing a system restore.

Anyone seem to have similar issues? where the system will still function but just be in such a hobbled state. I know there is lots of documented issues where an update will cause a full HALT or BSOD on boot but this seems a little strange.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure but I have problems with my windows 7 with network connections I keep having DNS problems the funny thing is I have windows 7 one 2 laptops and three PCs and the only PC I have problems with this is my AMD Sabertooth motherboard, at first I thought t hat it was the onboard LAN SO I installed Linux Mint and was using it for weeks with out any problems at all but if I booted into windows 7 with in an hour the problems came back ,all of the motherboards drivers are up to date . what I did was installed windows 8.1 with the a program installed so that it boots to desktop instead of the stupid metro. the problems went away .
if you installed any new software or drivers or updates just before this happened then maybe try and back them up and uninstall then see what happens . aslo check out your process's are running and try to determine what is what maybe you have something in there that shouldn't be. this can be very time consuming.

also sometimes if a windows update gets installed in the wrong order it can cause problems and your system will start acting funny.
if it is really bad then I would back up everything and then and do a fresh install.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAndyCook View Post
Way back when windows 7 was launched I was sent a copy of Unlimited. It wasn't a pre-release per-say but certainly not the same one you go out and buy now, I wouldn't be surprised if slightly modified version of a OEM release but certainly not a production release.

Issues seem to arise when/after doing updates. Considering there is approximately 200+ from original release including a SP update Im not surprised.

Issues like network dependency failing, registry corruption, graphical anomalies, a slew of strange problems that appeared to be hardware related - but resolve after doing a system restore.

Anyone seem to have similar issues? where the system will still function but just be in such a hobbled state. I know there is lots of documented issues where an update will cause a full HALT or BSOD on boot but this seems a little strange.
Buy a new copy. Sounds like you have a RTM version which well is junk now.
Old April 4, 2014, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Release to manufacturing (RTM)
The term "release to manufacturing", also known as "going gold", is a term used when a software product is ready to be delivered or provided to the customer. This build may be digitally signed, allowing the end user to verify the integrity and authenticity of the software purchase. A copy of the RTM build known as the "gold master" is sent for mass duplication. RTM precedes general availability, when the product is released to the public.
BS0D also mite be psu issue or ac~ line levels
Old May 22, 2014, 11:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
BS0D also mite be psu issue or ac~ line levels
I haven't checked the actual voltages leaving the PSU but its a new corsair cx500 running off a APC ups.

I have installed windows 8.1 now.

This appears not an OS related issue, must be motherboard/ram.
But I found the work around if anyone appears to be having this issue.

Issue seems to be present after shutting it down and more then a day has elapsed. (Typically what would happen after getting windows reinstalled and all patched) When I return to power the computer it fails to boot, or boots with many strange issues...however shutting down and turning the power supply off (or unplugging it) for 5-15 seconds and then starting up the computer everything seems to work perfectly.