Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2014, 12:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Updating drivers when swapping mobo's/CPU's?

Hey guys, i was wondering what to do when swapping a motherboard and replacing the CPU, i guess i would need the new board's drivers (on the manufacturer's website) right? Would they overwrite the older drivers?

I hope i don't have to reinstall windows...
Old March 25, 2014, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it depends on where you are coming from like was your old PC AMD and now you are using Intel.if your system boots up into then you probably would be able to just download the drivers and such that you need . I usually back up everything before I do a switch then if my system fires up into Windows then I update the drivers and what ever else is needed. the problem with that though is there is usually leftover drivers and such from your last system and this could cause problems later on.

on a side note I remember when I went from an older AMD system and upgraded to a 990fs sabertooth motherboard I couldn't connect to the net luckly I had the disk that came with the mother board so that I could install the Lan driver which I did then went to the site and downloaded the chipset drivers .
so if you plan on doing this I would download every thing you need for the mopther board first so that in case you do need drivers at least you ill already have them
Old March 25, 2014, 02:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ok, that's interesting, thanks. I will try that and if I have problems, I will reinstall windows from the CD.

Last edited by bliz; March 25, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 05:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I personally do recommend a clean install, much less likely to have issues with the new stuff, and more likely to see the most out of it. I know many folks don't and they just keep swapping parts and such but IMHO its not a good idea, new major parts at least do a good scrub of the older drivers and registry stuff that no longer applies. Yes it sucks, but its not like your just changing a pair of socks (say a graphics card, or memory) your are basically ripping out the kitchen and throwing new stuff in there without taking the time to place things where they belong.
Old April 1, 2014, 10:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I usually backup all my important stuff (documents, resumes, pictures etc..) then i even backup my steam (do steam backup),

After that I do a fresh install just so its nice clean and crisp and many times we don't update programs that already work on our machines so this gives you the newest again (say ccleaner, aug defrag, etc...)

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old April 6, 2014, 04:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my experience Intel to AMD tranistions never worked, you have to reinstall from zero. Intel to Intel even if older generations is easier, just make sure you install the latest inf version available on the older system first then do the switch. If you operate with SSD make sure the new board has the sata ports in the same mode as the old one, I assume you want AHCI. And who uses CDs in this day and age? Unless you install XP go with a usb drive is so much easier and elegant!
Old April 6, 2014, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I also say clean install. It's irritating to have a new build and then have issues arise later. Start with a clean install and go from there...a bit more work to get running though.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old April 6, 2014, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

first get all drivers for new hardware on a usb stik un-packed/zipped ready for new install

for the price of a drive today best buy a new one and install OS an use your usb stik for drivers and assign old drive as D: for you backup files

this way no headaches
Old April 27, 2014, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Totally depends on the version of Windows you're dealing with, if its Win7, just boot into safe mode*(hit F8 key while booting and choose "Safe Mode with Networking"), and load the correct drivers for your new equipment. If its any lesser version of Windows, do a clean install...

Win7 is actually a great OS, it works. Period. I've got a server/download computer that I've taken from AMD to Intel very easily using the method I've advocated in the above line, and it has worked flawlessly.