Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2014, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect

Angry Struggling to fix this issue

Hi everyone. To start off my gf's boss gave us a Lenovo ideacentre b540 touch screen pc. the touch glass was all cracked and broke. the rest of the pc is fine tho. So I removed the glass and i am using the pc as a regular pc without the touch functions. the pc fell of the desk on the floor and the hdd head crashed (it was a 1tb seagate drive) so i had to replaced the hdd with an ssd.

I then installed a clean version of Win7. Now i am having a wierd issues with my mouse that i cannot click on certain things on the screen. i am thinking it is a conflict with the mouse and some sort of tabled touch screen fonction. To explain the problem more precisly, when i try to click on any windows update check box to select an update to download it doesnt do anything. i see the square check box countour highlight in black for a mil sec when i click it but no check appears in that box. also if i press space bar wich is a alternative it doesnt do anything either. Thats only in windows update screen, i have tested other check boxes in windows and those work...

Also, example i have several internet pages in task bar and then i point my mouse over the internet logo in task bar i can see all internet pages that are opened but when i select one nothing hapens it wont come up.

An other example is when i went to install chrome for the first time there was a msg box asking me if i wanted to run the setup with a run or cancel button. if i click on run or cancel nothing happens, i have to press enter. the button registers my click because when i click it I see the actual button goes down but real fast and goes back up again and nothing happens. bare with me it is hard to explain lol

i tried a different mouse to no avail
i tried few fresh windows install to no avail
i messed with different drivers to no avail
i disabled touch functions (those i could find) to no avail

please help me i am about to garbage it.
Old February 15, 2014, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

I may add also the screen never goes in standby. i tried changing value from 15min to 1min it still stays on. Screen saver doesnt work either. in the screen saver window you can click on the preview button to see the screen saver in action and if you move the mouse it will go back to screen. welll for me it shows the screen saver for a milli second and then goes back to screen. it happens very fast so my gess is that something is permanently using the screen like a "touch screen bug" wich renders all these wierd problems
Old February 15, 2014, 06:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Lenovo pc's and laptops although being almost great or legendary in quality they do have one great fault. That being all their components are proprietary or as some would call Lenovo's "white list". Components approved by Lenovo or "will work". Unlike other manufacturers with their compatible cpu, memory etc, etc lists. Lenovo has an approved list, if your hardware isn't on the list more likely than not it ain't going to work.
Sounds like you've covered all your diagnosing so this makes me think the SSD falls into the not approved area.
Edit: Go directly to Lenovo"s update site. They also propriety drivers!!!
Old February 15, 2014, 06:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Lenovo pc's and laptops although being almost great or legendary in quality they do have one great fault. That being all their components are proprietary or as some would call Lenovo's "white list". Components approved by Lenovo or "will work". Unlike other manufacturers with their compatible cpu, memory etc, etc lists. Lenovo has an approved list, if your hardware isn't on the list more likely than not it ain't going to work.
Sounds like you've covered all your diagnosing so this makes me think the SSD falls into the not approved area.
Edit: Go directly to Lenovo"s update site. They also propriety drivers!!!
i used their drivers. i will try an other hdd but i really am septical on the fact my ssd would cause these issues. if it was my ssd i would of expected direct problems like ssd no dectection or bsod or anything direct not clicking and screen saver issues. but i will try a WD 1tb hdd here.

still looking for more inputs on this
Old February 15, 2014, 06:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

did you try and plug the mouse into a different usb ,on my older system I was having issues with my mouse doing the same thing I switched it with a different usb mouse and it seemed to work bt then it started to happen again so I just unpluged the mouse then plugged it back in and it worked , it would intermitenly do this I am not sure if my older system still does this anymore since I haven't used it in a while.
have you try the PC's website to see if they have the drivers or chipset or even the settings to turn off the touch screen
Old February 15, 2014, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

ok so i tried a different hdd to no avail. i tried different usb port with lenovo drivers, no go. i'm crying here
Old February 15, 2014, 08:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So the touch screen is broken but still plugged in? I think you'll have to open it up and find a way to fully disconnect the screen from the motherboard.
Old February 15, 2014, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
So the touch screen is broken but still plugged in? I think you'll have to open it up and find a way to fully disconnect the screen from the motherboard.
sorry i didnt specify but yes the touch screen is fully unpluged.

i've been able to enable ONE check box by clicking on it a hundred times. it happend only once and i tried again but wont do it again. some of the msg windows i cannot click on buttons. it is a realy wierd problem. all object i am clicking are responding but does not perform the action. Maybe a video would help my explinations
Old February 15, 2014, 09:48 PM
Top Prospect

a short video to demonstrate my problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fj6c9pjawt...216_002637.mp4

hope it helps
Old February 15, 2014, 10:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How about in Device Manager? Anything beyond the keyboard/mouse that you can disable?