Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2014, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Windows 8.1 Activation

I exchanged my moms Asus USB WiFi with a D-Link one yesterday because she said it wasn't working. Turns out it was just her modem needing a reset. For some reason her modem just drops connection to her WiFi now and again.

I didn't have time to help her configure it, but she managed just fine. Though, later on Windows was complaining that her OS key was being used by someone else. I haven't had a chance to get over there just yet. What's going on? Is MS wanting to check for validation every time you move your USB connection around now?
Old February 14, 2014, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OK, went over to moms yesterday. Windows is complaining that an error code says it has exceed the number of times the OS can be installed or some such. WTF?!!!

It's a brand new build and has only been installed once!
Old February 14, 2014, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

the shop that sold her unit is pimping the OS key out
Old February 14, 2014, 02:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
the shop that sold her unit is pimping the OS key out

ding ding ding. Phone the builder, get your money back for the OS portion of the build....THEN contact MS and report their ass. If theyare going to pull that kind of BS...at the very least they could have setup KMS****** so peep dont need to worry about activation. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 14, 2014, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Heh, I am the builder. All parts incl the OS were purchased from NCIX.
Old February 14, 2014, 07:25 PM
MVP
F@H

I'm guessing that Microsoft changed something in the way they handle activation or the number of times you activate, at least for Win 7 if not for Win 8 (which I don't have). Sort of wonder if someone found a way to exploit something there.

Long story short. Had a retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium on a system for about 4 years. Pulled it off the system and put it into a new dual-core last week, let it activate automatically which it did without any problem as I was getting Win 7 updates and checking temps. But then had a problem with the motherboard and had to RMA it. Ordered another board and installed Win 7 again. When Win 7 first opened it said it was not a legitimate copy. This is before I even had proper drivers installed for the motherboard, the video, networking, etc. Installed minimal drivers to just try to activate. Tried activating, retyped the product code and still failed. Tried activating online where you have to type in a series of numbers and that failed. Called Microsoft support and they confirmed my product code WAS valid. He suggested I download the Win 7 SP 1 iso and gave me a link and said it would fix it. Did that late last night, reinstalled Win 7, tried validating but it still shows as not valid. Called Support again this morning. Again confirmed my key was valid. They said the only way for me to fix it was to allow Microsoft to manually validate (fix it?) on my computer via remote. Took a while but it was finally validated. I asked if I ever had to reinstall Win 7 again would I have to go through this procedure? Yes, she said. Major PIA and a waste of valuable time - I should have had this computer running and testing it last night, not a day later for something not my fault. One of the reasons I purchased the retail version was so I could put it on a new computer without this kind of a hassle. More stupid hoops that legitimate users have jump through and for a product key that was valid and updated regularly with Microsoft for over 4 years. At what point did it go bad Microsoft?
Old February 14, 2014, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingCrow View Post
I'm guessing that Microsoft changed something in the way they handle activation or the number of times you activate...
That's the thing though, NO hardware was changed and this is the same OS install. It's only been a month. Fricken M$!

As far as I know the OS is supposed to be tied to the MB only. People upgrade parts all the time and that should never play a role in ant DRM. Installs? C'mon. Some people like me can reinstall up to twice per annum just to keep it as clean as possible. Damn M$ really is channeling their inner Jobs.
Old February 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
That's the thing though, NO hardware was changed and this is the same OS install. It's only been a month. Fricken M$!

As far as I know the OS is supposed to be tied to the MB only. People upgrade parts all the time and that should never play a role in ant DRM. Installs? C'mon. Some people like me can reinstall up to twice per annum just to keep it as clean as possible. Damn M$ really is channeling their inner Jobs.
Technically every Windows install has an allowable minor and major hardware change before it will ask to reactivate windows.

I don't know what they are but with Windows XP it was like 4 major and 7 minor or something.

Quote:
What triggers the need to reactivate Windows? As intended, each hardware component gets a relative weight, and from that WGA determines whether your copy of Windows 7 needs reactivation. The weight and the number of changes is apparently a guarded secret. If you upgrade too much at once, WAT decides that your PC is new, and things can get messy.

The actual algorithm that Microsoft uses is not disclosed, but we do know the weighting of components is as follows, from highest to lowest:

1. Motherboard (and CPU)
2. Hard drive
3. Network interface card (NIC)
4. Graphics card
5. RAM

If you just add a new hard disk or add new RAM, there is no issue. If you create an image of your Windows 7 installation on another hard disk and swap that hard disk into the system and boot from it, or if you replace all your RAM and reboot, WAT gets triggered and checks to see whether you must reactivate Windows 7.
Old February 14, 2014, 11:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I used the same win7 through about 5 separate systems including my macbook. Still no issues.
Old February 14, 2014, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I forgot to mention it still updates without issue. It just has the Build number in the bottom right corner. Which makes me think it might just be some sort of bug included in an update or something. I'll have to give Redmond a call today I guess. At least their tech support is decent. Sigh.