Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2014, 06:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Should I go to Windows 8.1 pro!

Hey gang,

I've been thinking about upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro from My Windows 7 Pro. Should I pull the trigger or wait for Windows 9. I am at a crossroads on this!!!
Old January 15, 2014, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

What are you trying to achieve with this upgrade?
Old January 15, 2014, 07:09 PM
Allstar

I'd say no at this point. I finally moved my main system over to 8.1 and have had nothing but issues unfortunately. A very frustrating experience and that doesn't include my dislike of Metro and the way things are setup. There are a couple of nice things about it but as far as I'm concerned not ready for primetime just yet. Maybe 8.2 will change that.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 15, 2014, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The upgrade probably won't have value to you unless you need DirectX 11.2 or some other Windows 8 specific feature.
I do however like Windows 8's backup (file history) - it saved me some video game progress a few times and is much faster than Windows 7 backup if configured properly. The touch screen stuff and the giant versions of cell phone apps however are useless to me.
Old January 15, 2014, 07:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If win 7 is working for you and don't need dx 11.2 or other features of that tablet Os. Personally I love win 7 finally have it running perfectly.
Old January 16, 2014, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

Unless you have a touch screen monitor my answer would be no. Win 8 is more stable and comes with defender active, its the first time I have not used third party AV. You would probably not notice or use the new features. Hopefully Win 9 improves metro. If the metro UI was part of the start menu and just overlayed the search results on top of the desktop I and others would be a lot more forgiving.
Old January 16, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No stay with windows7 unless it is causing you allot of problems. it is kind of like that iphones everyone wants the new shiny thing even though there is not any real difference. well except for windows 8 has touch screen crap that most PCs don't use and no real desk top well I guess that 8.1 might have one but I don't like the way that MS makes it very hard "not " to have a Microsoft Soft account that automatically logs in and watches your every move .
But that is just me I never have been a fan of anything that watches me when I don't like my information being handed out when I don't give it permission.
Old January 16, 2014, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In the spirit of not getting this thread locked (as the last Win8.1 thread did) all I will say is that there is a lot of misinformation in this thread by uninformed people.

Upgrade if the price is reasonable. There isnt a big difference between 7 and 8.1, but there are some improvements for some users.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 16, 2014, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
Hey gang,

I've been thinking about upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro from My Windows 7 Pro. Should I pull the trigger or wait for Windows 9. I am at a crossroads on this!!!
Don't bother. The small improvements to 8.1 is not the reason to switch yet.
Old January 16, 2014, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had a free key from a friend so I upgraded to Win 8. I don't regret it.

However, if I had to pay for it, I would not have switched.

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware