Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2014, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
In the spirit of not getting this thread locked (as the last Win8.1 thread did) all I will say is that there is a lot of misinformation in this thread by uninformed people.

Upgrade if the price is reasonable. There isnt a big difference between 7 and 8.1, but there are some improvements for some users.
I agree I have allot of OS thatI test and it has to do wit what you are looking for I have used allot of different Linux distros, windows like XP XPx64 vista server 2003,2008,2012, windows 8 and 8.1 besides what I said in my previous post the one other thing that I don't likeabout 8 or 8.1 is the huge size, I installed an older 64GB SSD and after installing win8.1 x63I only had 26 GB left with windows 7x86 I had 33GB
Old January 16, 2014, 06:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks. I think I will keep using Win 7 Pro. I just been reading a lot of info on games that run faster and better on 8.1.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:28 AM
Top Prospect

Battlefield 4 has some specific optimizations, which reduce CPU overhead, that leverage DX 11.1 features available in Windows 8 and not Windows 7. This is the only current game (as far as I know) at the moment that has a statistically significant performance advantage in Windows 8. I assume these may optimizations will carry over to upcoming Frostbite 3 games as well. The other consideration however is the benefit is also related to the type of workload (and demand on the CPU) for BF4 multiplayer primarily, so the actual real world carry over to other games (using the same engine) may or may not be similar (less gain, or more gain).

From Johan Andersson (Frostbite Technical Lead) -
Quote:
We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1. This will be in BF4.” Johan Andersson stated.
In terms of games in general from what I have seen there is a rather minor performance variance that swings both ways with various games. The differences however would not really be considered statistically significant. I am not aware of any other post DX 11 games other than BF4 at the moment.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you were building new then I would go for 8.1. If you got the upgrade cheap then I would go with 8.1. If you will be spending >$100 for it, then I wouldn't bother.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 17, 2014, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedaccess View Post
Battlefield 4 has some specific optimizations, which reduce CPU overhead, that leverage DX 11.1 features available in Windows 8 and not Windows 7. This is the only current game (as far as I know) at the moment that has a statistically significant performance advantage in Windows 8. I assume these may optimizations will carry over to upcoming Frostbite 3 games as well. The other consideration however is the benefit is also related to the type of workload (and demand on the CPU) for BF4 multiplayer primarily, so the actual real world carry over to other games (using the same engine) may or may not be similar (less gain, or more gain).

From Johan Andersson (Frostbite Technical Lead) -

In terms of games in general from what I have seen there is a rather minor performance variance that swings both ways with various games. The differences however would not really be considered statistically significant. I am not aware of any other post DX 11 games other than BF4 at the moment.
When ever I read reviews on games that say things like it runs better with this or that I try to findout the back ground of the company that is saying these things .

the other thing is that on paper allot of games or software run better with certain hardware or OS's but when a person actually uses it they sometimes don't notice any difference at all.
I have been testing these things for myself and of course there are some advantages and disadvantages .
If I was in a league or a gaming clan and the game ran in windows XP or Linux I would use one of those OS's instead because the performance would be allot better runing most game in XP or linux then any other the newer OS's, the newer OS's have more eye candy .

Basically wha tI believe is that I have notice no performance differences between any new OS's like windows7,8,8.1 server 2012 server 2008. but like I said above if I were to play games in Windows XP or pretty much any Linux distro I notice a huge improvement .

Last edited by Shadowmeph; January 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old January 17, 2014, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

^ I love how you often make very little sense.

However for bf4 as mentioned there is a noticeable difference between win 7 and 8, as I've seen for myself, along with others that I play with.
Old May 4, 2014, 05:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I had vista on my laptop, hence my reason for buying the upgrade. It certainly loads much faster than win7 on the desktop. I also has an old pc with xp, and upgraded it to win8, purely for faster loading. But I would not upgrade my desktop win7. I would rather spend the money on a new ssd.

Today, I updated it to 8.1, and windows media center is missing. I am fortunate to have kept the WMC activation code. So, I had to add feature with my code to get it back. That code came free with win8 due to some problem with viewing DVD,s so MS gave out free WMC code. Looks like wmc is not free with 8.1.
Old May 6, 2014, 08:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I had vista on my laptop, hence my reason for buying the upgrade. It certainly loads much faster than win7 on the desktop. I also has an old pc with xp, and upgraded it to win8, purely for faster loading. But I would not upgrade my desktop win7. I would rather spend the money on a new ssd.

Today, I updated it to 8.1, and windows media center is missing. I am fortunate to have kept the WMC activation code. So, I had to add feature with my code to get it back. That code came free with win8 due to some problem with viewing DVD,s so MS gave out free WMC code. Looks like wmc is not free with 8.1.
Windows Media Center is now a paid-add on if I'm not mistaken. It doesn't matter really since most people use VLC, iTunes etc for media needs.
Old May 6, 2014, 09:08 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes, you are perfectly right. VLC or iTunes are much better. In fact WMC does not play my flac music files.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:23 PM
Rookie

I think you should test drive 8.1 and make your decision based on your own perceptions of the new OS.