Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2014, 10:53 PM
Rookie

Default Upgrading to windows 7 and ssd

I would like to upgrade an XP PC to windows 7 and install a new SSD.

Can I simply:

1. Image the old drive
2. install the SSD
3. load windows 7 onto the SSD
4. change the boot drive to be the SSD
5. reboot, starting windows 7 on the PC
6. Use windows 7 to copy that image onto the SDD from the old hard drive
7. use revo to uninstall the old XP OS
8 reboot again
9. hope like hell old my old software works just fine

I know it would be nice if it were this easy, but I like to be hopeful, and I would be interested to hear if anyone thought this, or a variation thereof, might work.

Your constructive input appreciated.
Old January 7, 2014, 11:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You're best off with a clean install. You're overwriting the windows 7 registry and files, it won't work properly if at all.
Old January 8, 2014, 05:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the juice ain't worth the squeeze IMO
Old January 8, 2014, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with the others,you would be better off installing fresh you, you could save all of your settings for the programs on windows xp and move them over to the new install .
What you want to do can be done but you will run into problems and most likely by the time you fix all of those problems you could have started fresh with the same programs problems .
when I bought my first SSD it was only a 64Gb so I unplugged my old drive and had just the SSD plugged in then I installed windows 7 and , updated , shut down and plugged the old drive back in fired up the pc back up then created short cuts from the old drive and over time I reinstalled all my regularly used software ( web browser email programs ) onto the SSD ,then I deleted the same software off of the old drive once I finished I reformat the old drive. but this takes a long time to do.
Old January 9, 2014, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input!