Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > O/S's, Drivers & General Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2013, 06:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default 8.1 local account access to programs?

Am I missing something here? I've installed programs through my administrative rights Microsoft account, but can't figure out how to allow the local non password protected account to have access to those programs if the install doesn't ask about multi-user access on install. Am I missing something simple or is it a matter of having to find the file folder from the local account and manually install the exe?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 23, 2013, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So I take it that you are loging into different PC's or different logins on the same PC, if it is the latter I think that you need to find the folder via user/acont which has program/ and also have the program installed into the account your on.you might be able to make a sortcut to the folder in the "C:\Users\Public" folder to have access to it am not sure if that will work because I only have one account per PC.

hmm how did I do that change my font
. I am on my 6.1 right now
Old November 23, 2013, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
So I take it that you are loging into different PC's or different logins on the same PC, if it is the latter I think that you need to find the folder via user/acont which has program/ and also have the program installed into the account your on.you might be able to make a sortcut to the folder in the "C:\Users\Public" folder to have access to it am not sure if that will work because I only have one account per PC.

hmm how did I do that change my font
. I am on my 6.1 right now
This is what I'm up to. Basically want to have my own account set up as admin and password protected, and then have a separate standard account without a password for general use / surfing duties on the PC hooked up to the living room TV (calling it a HTPC at this time would be a misnomer as it's media use is pretty much either music or youtube).

What's happening is that programs which do not check for single user vrs all users either aren't available at all to the standard account, or (like cpu-z or hwmonitor) are installed with desktop icons that either error out or don't provide full information assumedly because they don't have authority to access the file location. Even worse.... when I removed what I thought were the shortcut icons on the standard account's desktop, at least one of the programs then became unavailable to the admin account....

What I suspect I'm going to have to do is to install programs for each account to completely separate locations.

On a side note.... I've been playing with xmbc and have to say that I really like the fact that it imports artist images to display on the screen along with album/song info... not a big deal, but pretty cool none the less. ;)

edit: Hrmmmmmm..... and now the programs with icons installed to the desktop seem to be working after a single instance of "run as administrator"...........

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; November 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you need to use the Amin on the main account to permit access to which ever files program you want. like on the main admin account you would do the rightclick ( on which ever program or folder) the go into securities and add which ever user or check the everybody then under that there is check marks you can check or uncheck like for full control read, write or read execute.